1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 25, 2019 11:09 AM by Robert Stinnett

regular basis user is demanding a job via email ,  is there any way to automate this process

balaji ganesan
      Share This:

Every time , user will send an email to scheduling team to run a job , is there any way to automate  this process.Regular version is scheduled to run only once a day. But he needs this job to be run thrice as per requirements

Thanks& Regards

Balaji ganesan

• 1. Re: regular basis user is demanding a job via email ,  is there any way to automate this process
          Robert Stinnett

There are a few options here; I've listed them in order I would approach and effort.

1) Switch the user to Self-Service and make it an orderable service.  This is the preferred method in my mind.  Email is error-prone, and has zero tracking ability.  Self-Service puts the power in the users hand.  You can use that phrase alone to sell them on the idea.

2) Use a tool such as ThinkAutomation or mailparser.io to intercept the email, extract data, and call the Automation API to launch the job.  Either one of these would require a cash spend to implement.

3) You could write a script that queries the mail server and pulls down requests like this.  This is a lot of effort for in my mind little payback for use cases such as this.

I would simply state to the customer "We want to be able to help you get what you want, when you want it with complete control.  That is why we'd like to run a trial with you using Self-Service for a period of 3 months.  Then we can reevaluate and see if this in meeting your needs."

I guarantee you they will never go back to email again.

2 of 2 people found this helpful