4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2019 6:08 PM by Kevin Leypoldt

How does your organization categorize work order types?

Kevin Leypoldt
      Share This:

The last time I see this question posted was by Scott Sandersback  back on Nov 3, 2015 so I would like to ask it again since we now have a new Categorization structure in Trackit.

We are planning on upgrading from 11.4 and would like to take the opportunity to overhaul our categories. However before we started tacking this on our own, I thought I would hit up the community to see what everyone else was doing, if anyone had any suggestions or thoughts and what they found worked well (or not).

Are you using an ITIL ticket/work order structure? did you create yours from scratch? a hybrid approach, other? why?

Of course I would LOVE to see what everyone has come up with if they are willing to share.

We are taking the approach that the driver to categorization is reporting, metrics and business rules. However even that is a daunting task!

Thanks in advance and looking forward to seeing/hearing what others are doing!

-Kevin

• 1. Re: How does your organization categorize work order types?
          Cris Coffey

Surely we all of opinions about how this should be done. I guess I will start off.

If building from scratch, I always recommend to start a bit vague, with big overarching categories like Problem, Question, Request and add a few high level items under those like Network, User Account, PC, and then roll out to some usage and see what happens. I find that it is always easier to add a few new categories than it is to remove and reorganize a bunch of categories that have gotten out of hand. It is also useful to get all your technicians together and talk about the most common types of things they run into in a white board session before even setting up 1 category in the new system. Also remember that your end users need to be able to read those categories and understand what they are at a glance in self-service so if you use a bunch of acronyms or highly technical terms, it may cause frustration with your users.  As for ITIL, some people use ITIL types, some people roll their own entirely and some use a combination.

• 2. Re: How does your organization categorize work order types?
            Kevin Leypoldt

Thank you Chris. That is the approach that we have taken. I was just curious to know if anyone actually had a good working categorization structure that they are willing to share.

We are definitely trying to take a metric driven approach here. meaning that we have started generic, and then when we want/need to be more granular (from a reporting perspective) that would drive additional categories.

With that said, we still ended up with quite a list, however we are pleased that with the way that TI 2019 operates (being able to enter a few characters and search the categories) we have come up with a list that is granular, but also MUCH faster than what we had in 11.4

I would be happy to share once we get this closer to production should anyone be interested. In the meantime, if anyone has a list that is working well for them I would love to see!

Thanks! 

• 3. Re: How does your organization categorize work order types?
              Cris Coffey

Sounds like you have a good system going. Please do share if you don’t mind. Hopefully others will see this and share theirs as well.

• 4. Re: How does your organization categorize work order types?
                Kevin Leypoldt

Category

• Account Administration

• Separations

• On-Boarding / New Hire

• Membership (AD/security groups)

• Name Changes

• Password Reset

• Applications

• Generic Apps
                  • Baseline Image apps
                • Microsoft Apps
                  • Microsoft Apps (ex office)
                • Engineering Apps
                  • Engineering apps (we have a lot)
                • Development Apps

○ Internal Development projects and tools

• Security Apps

○ Security specific applications (ex AV)

• Hardware

○ Data Recovery

○ Peripheral

○ Switches

○ Routers

○ Servers

○ Firewall

○ Harddrive

○ Laptop

○ SAN

○ WAPs

○ Appliances

○ Unitrends

○ Drobo

○ Printer

○ UPS

○ KVM

• Network

○ Network devices and appliances (routers, switches, Firewalls, etc)

• General Information

• Informational

• Training

• Noise

• Conference room Setup

• Operating System

• Rebuilds

• Configuration

• Updates

• Security Events

• Security related events (SPAM, account lockouts, Access control and alarm issues, etc

• Telephony

• Cellular, phone systems, etc

2 of 2 people found this helpful