4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2019 2:20 PM by Vern Meyer

Service Catalog breaks if you apply a workspace template?

Vern Meyer
      Share This:

Needed to apply a workspace template due to some configuration bugs, and this morning its being reported that our service catalog no longer works. We're still on 12.1.05

That's when i found this article:

KnowledgeArticle - BMC

This error can occur after applying a Template to the workspace that contains the 'Request Template' selected in the Service; or if a template is applied to the Service Portfolio that referenced different Request Template ID's from another workspace.

To resolve this, you will need to delete and recreate the Service.

Does this have a defect ID that I could use for tracking? Does BMC Not feel this is a defect? Was it already corrected and is more reason why I should push to be on the current version?

I'm hoping this was already corrected since this article was written on 6/28/2016.

• 1. Re: Service Catalog breaks if you apply a workspace template?
          Vern Meyer

Anyone have any easier way to handle this rather than deleting and recreating each service? I attempted an export/import, just to find you can't import into a service portfolio.

Any ideas already out there about this issue to vote on?

• 2. Re: Service Catalog breaks if you apply a workspace template?
            Nicolas Roome

At quick glance I don't see something about this in the known issues list. Get with your Support Provider and see what they can dig up. I'm thinking it may be something that is fixed in a later version.

• 3. Re: Service Catalog breaks if you apply a workspace template?
              Brian McKenzie

Vern,

You may need to check with support on this. If I recall correctly this has been a big issue for quite sometime. It is one of the big reasons that it is NOT recommended to lay a template down over an existing, in-flight work space. ESPECIALLY one with ties to service catalog. It used to just completely hose the work space and service catalog. However, I haven't been with support for a couple years now and this may no longer be the case. Last few issues I recall working with Development had to roll up their sleeves to get back on track.

Sorry for the bad news before a weekend :-(

Brian

• 4. Re: Service Catalog breaks if you apply a workspace template?
                Vern Meyer

Thanks Brian. Luckily we've gotten pretty used to bad news within our FootPrints environment, so it doesn't sting too bad.

Yeah, we only apply templates when something catastrophic happens. Unfortunately, with this instance we had no other course of action. After a workflow change, somehow all of the workflow rules from one state move into another. As we know, we can't move rules between states so that was odd to see. (Vote here to change this: Allow Business rules to be moved between states) When we cloned this to our test environment, we saw the following error upon publish:

FP-Err283.jpg

Due to our separation of duties, I cannot make database modifications and our server team had higher priorities at the time. So a template was our most reasonable option. Now that we know about this service catalog issue, we have some lessons learned and can weigh the option a little better. We don't have a huge service catalog, so I was able to rebuild within a few days.