7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2019 11:10 PM by Joe Packard

Track-It 2019 Asset Discovery - BCM - Best Practices?

Mike Andrews
      Share:|

I'm working with Track-It 2019 and asset discovery.  Everything is working great, it's just that the single scan we're allowed to configure via the Track-It Configuration runs very slow, as I'm scanning nearly 2500 addresses.

I currently have 9 IP Subnets configured for discovery, and am getting ready to add 4 more, which will include SNMP.  Should I be moving my asset discovery management to BCM, and if so, will asset synchronization from BCM to Track-It still function correctly?

If so, I'm assuming that I may be best to setup an individual discovery job per subnet, with just the setting and protocols I need for that subnet, and then schedule them accordingly, so they are all running at different times.

Does anyone have any experience doing something like this?

Thanks!

-Mike

• 1. Re: Track-It 2019 Asset Discovery - BCM - Best Practices?
          Cris Coffey

I would like to see what other customers have done for this or what support has to say but just 1 point of clarification. By using the BCM console directly, you are not really "moving" management of your assets to BCM. Track-It! 2018/19 uses BCM automatically behind the scenes to discover and manage the assets. In theory, if everything was configured correctly directly in BCM, no matter how complicated the setup, the assets should still sync into Track-It! and be available in there to log tickets against.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Track-It 2019 Asset Discovery - BCM - Best Practices?
            Mike Andrews

Much appreciated Cris!  I remember you mentioning that before, that BCM is the discovery engine no matter how you configure the discovery.

I'll be looking forward to any other replies as well, with so many subnets the discovery runs for a long time.  We're at about 4 hrs on this mornings scan. 

• 3. Re: Track-It 2019 Asset Discovery - BCM - Best Practices?
              Cris Coffey

Do you own any other BCM modules like Deploy or Patch by chance?  Just curious what other things could be running. This could be the initial discoveries also.

• 4. Re: Track-It 2019 Asset Discovery - BCM - Best Practices?
                Brian Da Silva

Personally working with support team I have seen many customers configure many subnets from the BCM Console itself. Then sync the discovery results back to Track-It!. However, the Discovery scan does take a long time to complete sometimes running for days. I am not sure if this is a BCM issue or by design. These are some of the KB articles that i refer to our customers while troubleshooting performance related issues with BCM

If Scan returns unreachable or even after providing the credentials it's not able to collect the information then have a look at this:

Thanks,

Brian Dasilva

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Track-It 2019 Asset Discovery - BCM - Best Practices?
                  Joe Packard

Hey Mike,

I am a pre-sales consultant here at BMC.  I work with Track-It!, TICM (BCM) and Footprints.

You are not the first customer with a large number of subnets to scan.  Nor are you the first to experience long discovery times.  That is a result of the way the interface between BCM and TI was designed.  The idea was to keep asset discovery simple and easy so it could be done from a unified interface.

I must assume that there are several locations being "discovered" based on the number of subnets you mention.  Fortunately, there is a solution.  BCM allows any device with an agent installed to be configured as a discovery source.  The device doesn't even need to be a big server.

This solution to your issue can only be addressed by directly accessing the BCM Console. Then you will need to manually define additional discovery servers and jobs.  Fortunately, Track-It! does not care how the data is discovered, just that it exists in BCM.

Read through the BCM documentation to see how to access the Console.  You will need to clear the admin password. Replace "Administrators" in the query with "bcmdbuser.Administrators".  Then once logged in, you will need to go to the menu bar at the top, click tools, and import the "Out-Of-The-Box Objects." 

Read the part about configuring discovery servers.  Remember, a discovery computer must have the agent installed.

Hope that helps.

JP

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Track-It 2019 Asset Discovery - BCM - Best Practices?
                    Mike Andrews

Really appreciate all the feedback, I've been going blind reading through all the documentation.  There is one thing I haven't been able to find yet, I do have one particular subnet that contains Windows Servers that I want to discover - but I do not want to rollout the agents on that subnet, and I'm not finding instructions about how to prevent the automatic agent rollout from executing for a particular scan configuration.  If anyone is able to find documentation on that I would be grateful, thanks!

-Mike

• 7. Re: Track-It 2019 Asset Discovery - BCM - Best Practices?
                      Joe Packard

The Track-It! integration is an all or nothing function.

You would need to disable the feature in Track-It! entirely.  You could then go in and decide how deployments would be handled in the BCM Console.  TI targets ALL Windows, ALL Mac, ALL Linux.  If the agent installer credential allows/permits an install, TI will install the agent.  In the BCM console, you have more control. You can selectively target by IP address, IP range, AD OU, Device Groups you’ve defined, etc.

Be sure, if you turn off agent deployment in TI to make sure it turned off in the BCM console before running any additional discoveries.  I have seen where this action takes up to twenty four hours to be recognized by the discovery server.

Go to Global Settings>Rollouts>Track-It!>Windows agent rollout.  In the Left navigation column, expand the rollout, then expand the “Servers” entry. Click on your server name. A tabbed view will appear on the Right panel.  Click on “Assigned Groups” and verify the small box at the very top is unchecked. Do the same on the “Targets” tab.

That now stops automatic agent rollouts.  Create a device group the excludes the servers in question. Device groups can be populated manually (not good for this situation), by a query, by a directory OU, etc.  You could use a query to exclude the ip subnet and populate the device group.  Then use the Wizard, or Instant Expert to help build out a new agent rollout definition.

Joe Packard