1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2019 5:01 AM by Abdul Moid Mohammed

RE:Deployment of Midtier Hotfix

Abdul Moid Mohammed
      Share This:

Hi Team,

We are trying to deploy the Midtier hotfix,we are on BMC Remedy(9.1.04.002) ARS,ITSM,My IT along RSSO

This is one of our Dev Environment and while performing the Deployment it picks up some other server which do not belong this environment.

I have performed the below steps

1. Select the imported payload package from the table.
      2. Click Operations > Deploy.
      3. Click Refresh to see if the package has been deployed.
      4. Select the package entry and click Manage Package > View.
      5. Select Deployment Payload from the table field.
      6. Click the View Payload Status button.

As soon as i see the View Payload button it says Pending Download for other Midtier server and the one which belongs to this Environment i see the status as Not Reachable

I went to server and ran the midtier_install_directory/filedeployer/arpayloaddeploymentutil.bat but i dont see any updates from here

I have checked the Centralized Configuration for component Type:com.bmc.arsys.filedeployer and it has only the associated server with this environment.

Is there a way where in we can check or delete the entry for the other server( i dont see any entries on any of the AR System Configuration Component forms)

This deployment fix is with version stamp(Hotfix Version Stamp: 9.1.04.002 201905171748)

Appreciate response at your earliest availability.

Thanks;--Abdul Moid

• 1. Re: RE:Deployment of Midtier Hotfix
          Carl Wilson

Hi,

go over the configuration as described in the following blog post, and remove the reference to the rouge server:

Prerequisite for AR System platform upgrade to 9.x version using installer/d2p

Cheers

Carl

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: RE:Deployment of Midtier Hotfix
            Abdul Moid Mohammed

Hi Carl,

Thanks a lot for sharing the details/pre requisite for the d2p.

We have applied multiple Deployments till now for ARS and My IT but this was the first of its kind we had the issue.

We were able to resolve and proceed further on the Deployment fix successfully with no issue after deleting the entries from AR System Monitor form rest all the other steps/procedures were in place.

Thanks ;--Abdul Moid

• 3. Re: RE:Deployment of Midtier Hotfix
              Abdul Moid Mohammed

Hi Everyone,

This is issue was resolved on our Dev Environment but still we face issues with Other Environment where the deployment status is almost In Progress for hours too and dont see any progress further.

We have deleted the entries from AR System Monitor form and followed all the instructions from the below Knowledge articles.

1. https://communities.bmc.com/people/sse/blog/2019/06/12/prerequisite-for-ar-system-platform-upgrade-to-9x-version-using-installerd2p
              2. https://communities.bmc.com/docs/DOC-117791
              3. https://communities.bmc.com/docs/DOC-104570

Attaching the Deployer logs for your reference and resolution if any?

We have already raised a ticket with BMC and even they say this is the first time we see the issue and which they cant replicate at their Environment.

Thanks;--Abdul Moid

• 4. Re: RE:Deployment of Midtier Hotfix
                Abdul Moid Mohammed

Hi Team,

Is there anyone who can assist me on proceeding further on this issue.

Thanks;--Abdul Moid

• 5. Re: RE:Deployment of Midtier Hotfix
                  Abdul Moid Mohammed

John Weigand

Can someone assist me on this issue?

• 6. Re: RE:Deployment of Midtier Hotfix
                    Abdul Moid Mohammed

Hi Team,

The only missing thing i see with this issue is the service(BMC Remedy MidTier FileDeployer) on this server stops by itself frequently unless i start it manually its not starting and the Strange thing is Start Type of this service is Automatic.

Appreciate response or atleast workaround if any at the earliest.

Thanks;--Abdul Moid

• 7. Re: RE:Deployment of Midtier Hotfix
                      Carl Wilson

Hi,

check the log files as to why it is stopping.

Cheers

Carl

• 8. Re: RE:Deployment of Midtier Hotfix
                        Carl Wilson

Hi,

what does the Payload Status say "Deployment Payload Group Name > View Payload Status" for the deployment (underlying form is "AR System Single Point Deployment Payload Status Join")?

If there is a set of binary files to be downloaded and installed, then OOB the payload will not download unless you run the script to invoke the download and install.

Your log file mentions nothing about a payload being downloaded and installed, so have you run the script?

Have you also increased the JVM memory for the Plugin Server, from 1024 to 2048, as mentioned in BMC articles?

I also suggest that you change the JVM settings in the "DataImport.bat" and "dataimportool.ini" files on the Admin AR Server.  By default the maximum JVM allocation is 512 MB, and recently I have had a hotfix that required this to be increased to 3072 MB (or greater) for the actual Deployment Payload to import into the system.  Before this update, the system would crash the AR Server when doing the import ....

Cheers

Carl

• 9. Re: RE:Deployment of Midtier Hotfix
                          Abdul Moid Mohammed

Hi Carl,

Below are my inputs for the queries

Point Deployment Payload Status Join")?

- Pending Download

If there is a set of binary files to be downloaded and installed, then OOB the payload will not download unless you run the script to invoke the download and install.

- I did run the script and as soon as it initiates the Service for BMC Remedy MidTier FileDeployer stops which is something strange

Your log file mentions nothing about a payload being downloaded and installed, so have you run the script?

- i did run the script and its not completing( No Download and Instal)

Have you also increased the JVM memory for the Plugin Server, from 1024 to 2048, as mentioned in BMC articles?

- JVM is increased 3072

Would like to have the workaround for this as of now being Non Prod but if this issue triggers on Prod then ?

Thanks;--Abdul Moid

• 10. Re: RE:Deployment of Midtier Hotfix
                            Carl Wilson

Hi,

if the script stops the file deployer, then something is incorrect in the setup for the deployer.

This could be the following (or something else):

• File dependencies not found - it uses jar files, so if the paths are not correct then it may not find the dependencies
                            • JAVA_HOME variable is not set - the script relies on the JAVA_HOME being set correctly in the environment

The fact it is saying "Pending Download" means it is waiting for the arpayload script to be invoked to download and install the file(s).

You can change the log4j properties for the file deployer to "DEBUG" and restart the process.

Restarting the process "should" also invoke the download, as would running the arpayload script.

Cheers

Carl

• 11. Re: RE:Deployment of Midtier Hotfix
                              Abdul Moid Mohammed

Hi Carl,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have cross checked the JAVA_Home and its defined/updated in Environment variables

I have Enabled the logs in DEBUG mode and attaching the same for your reference/suggestions if any to proceed on it.

FOR YOUR INFORMATION i have just deployed the same fix on one more Environment at our end which went smoothly with no issues and hardly it took time to deploy.

Thanks;--Abdul Moid

• 12. Re: RE:Deployment of Midtier Hotfix
                                Abdul Moid Mohammed

As soon as i enabled the DEBUG logs and checked the Service(BMC Remedy Midtier File Deployer) stopped.

Looks like there is something wrong with the service as i have already checked java and Tomcat on this box.

For your information we are using External Tomcat for all our Environments.

Thanks;--Abdul Moid

• 13. Re: RE:Deployment of Midtier Hotfix
                                  Andreas Mitterdorfer

Stop the midtier filedeployer service.

In midtier\filedeployer\conf you'll find the armonitor.cfg. Open a command line, set the environment variable as defined in armonitor.cfg and start the filedeployer with the command line from armonitor.cfg.

Check wheter it's started and remains started or wheter there are errors.

If there are no errors: start the arpayloaddeploymentutil.bat in another console and check wheter the filedeployer process keeps running or crashes.

• 14. Re: RE:Deployment of Midtier Hotfix
                                    Carl Wilson

Hi,

Further to Andreas's suggestion, it looks like (from the logs) the Service is being restarted (5 sec intervals??) before the file deployer is fully initialised and the suggestion from Andreas should help determine that.

It is possible the AR Monitor process is doing that, so you could start to look at what is causing the restart.

Cheers

Carl

1 2 Previous Next