3 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2019 7:56 AM by Eric Liszt

How to complete migration in two phases?

Paolo Righi
      Share This:

Hi Everybody,

one of our customers would like to migrate from TI11.4 to TI2019, but he would like to accomplish it in two phases.

The first phase include the migration of all the TI11.4 data, the configuration of TI2019 following the generated reports; then working on it as it was in production so to get acquainted with it and correct or add what is wrong or missing in the configuration.

In a second time he would decide he is ready to switch from TI11.4 to TI2019, but he is facing the need to do again the migration of the Ticket data so to update the contents in TI2019.

Is the migration tool able to update the Ticket data, closing the Tickets that have been in the meanwhile closed in TI11.4? Or has he to clean in some way the Ticket data so to cleanly migrate the TI11.4 data again without losing the adjustments made to the configuration data (restoring the initial backup is not a valid solution under these requirements)?

Can someone tell me how he/she managed the migration in his/her company? Thank you a lot for any suggestion.

Paolo Righi.

• 1. Re: How to complete migration in two phases?
          Eric Liszt

I'm sure you will get a number of opinions on how to do this.   My suggestion will be a bit different based on whether you will be installing this directly into an OS n a server or if you will be using virtualization.   Virtualization makes it easiest.  I'm also an advocate of being as safe / conservative as possible.  Here's my thoughts:

1) Install 2019 on a clean OS (and/or VM)

2) Perform your initial configuration work

3) Make a backup / take a snapshot

4) Run the migration

5) Do your testing

6a) If you find any issues or changes you want to make, you can always restore to one of the previous points to address those issues, re-run the migration and re-test. 

6b) If you don't find any issues or necessary changes, then when you are ready to go live, simply restore back to the point just prior to the migration and then re-run the migration like before.

• 2. Re: How to complete migration in two phases?
            Paolo Righi

Thank you Eric,

yes, this could be a valid approach, assuming you should not make changes to basic data transferred by the migration, such as Statuses, Priorities, Categories, Users, etc.

Otherwise you should remember the changes you made in some way: for example exporting the data from single tables.

Maybe the right answer is simply manually remove all the Tickets before starting the new migration :-) .

Do you see any pitfalls doing that?

Have a nice day.

Paolo Righi.

• 3. Re: How to complete migration in two phases?
              Eric Liszt

If you are using virtualization, I'd think the best bet would be to simply make any changes in the snapshot that is post-install and pre-migration.    You could then re-run the migration from scratch on an updated copy of that snapshot so you'd see the full impact.   Trying to delete out data is far more time consuming and risky path.