8 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2019 6:51 AM by Sinisa Mikor

How to Setup Incoming Email - Remedy 9.1.04 patch 2

T. D.
      Share:|

I was wondering if someone could provide some guidance on how to setup incoming emails?

The user is getting a BMC OOTB notification for an approval. At the bottom of the email message are two buttons (Approve / Reject). When the user clicks Approve the system does a reply with the following information. I am assuming there is a way that when the user hits Send the system will update the Request.

This article talks about configuring email based approvals https://docs.bmc.com/docs/srm91/configuring-email-based-approvals-609065400.html?src=search

I also know I have to setup an Inbox Configuration - we have Outbox, but now we need Inbox.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

#DO NOT MODIFY FOLLOWING TEXT#

Action:Modify

Server:ServerNameHere

Schema:AP:Detail-Signature

Request ID: 000000000009637|000000000009737

Approval Status!13191!:1

Status Template:Approval_By_Email_Status_en

Result Template:Approval_By_Email_Result_Approve_en

##Modify##:

• 1. Re: How to Setup Incoming Email - Remedy 9.1.04 patch 2
          Sinisa Mikor

Inbox configuration is pretty simple -- open BMC Remedy AR System Administration Console => System => Email => Mailbox Configuration, create new request (Mailbox Function should say Incoming, of course) and insert values relevant to your system (everything should be pretty self-explanatory).

If you haven't already, in Application Administration Console => Custom Configuration => Foundation => Advanced Option => Notification Engine => Approval Email Configuration either set Status to "Enabled" for Company "- Global -", or set it to "Disabled" for Company "- Global -" and create new record for any company which should be able to use it.

Return message will contain actual server name instead of ServerNameHere and one more line with approval's "secret" ID in order to prevent the system from processing non-approvers' reply.  As you assume, if received from appropriate e-mail address, answer will be processed as if a button was clicked in Approval Central.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to Setup Incoming Email - Remedy 9.1.04 patch 2
            T. D.

Thanks Sinisa, I got all that setup yesterday. I will give it a try. I thought there might be something else I was missing.

• 3. Re: How to Setup Incoming Email - Remedy 9.1.04 patch 2
              T. D.

Sinisa,

Good morning.

I clicked the Reply button on the email, but it would appear that Remedy did not consume the email.

Is there some where I can see the errors that may be happening?

• 4. Re: How to Setup Incoming Email - Remedy 9.1.04 patch 2
                Sinisa Mikor

Are you certain your reply has reached AR server -- is there a record of incoming message in AR System Email Messages?  If not, send any message to incoming address (not from RBE:Console, though) and within minutes it should turn up there and in RBE:Message as well if server handles incoming messages properly.

As to finding errors, you could check log file listed in Approval Server => Server Settings and Email Error Logs in AR System Administrator Console.

• 5. Re: How to Setup Incoming Email - Remedy 9.1.04 patch 2
                  T. D.

I checked AR System Email Messages and searched for Message Type Incoming and nothing was found.

I sent an email from my Outlook account to the Incoming email account and nothing shows up in AR System Email Messages.

I also checked RBE:Message and it is empty.

• 6. Re: How to Setup Incoming Email - Remedy 9.1.04 patch 2
                    Carl Wilson

Hi,

if there is no record of the incoming email, then you need to start diagnostics there.

The incoming email configuration also needs to be set to "parse" the incoming email.

Take a look at the incoming email box in outlook (or a client for the email server).  If the email is still in the inbox, then it has not been processed by Remedy.  It "should" be removed once processed by Remedy.

Cheers

Carl

• 7. Re: How to Setup Incoming Email - Remedy 9.1.04 patch 2
                      T. D.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

I had the incorrect Email Server Name/IP.

• 8. Re: How to Setup Incoming Email - Remedy 9.1.04 patch 2
                        Sinisa Mikor

Hi T. D.,

your last message arrived when I was in the middle of replying so I'm aware that your problem is solved, but advice in this should prove helpful in the future, so here it is.

If your messsages are still in email server's inbox, you could try restarting BMC Remedy Email Engine on AR server since it may have not activated incoming connection (properly) -- I've encountered situation where despite the fact that there were enabled inbound and outbound mailboxes, only outbound connection was operational.

You should turn Carl's suggestion (to check email inbox using email client) into standard practice -- monitoring amount of emails waiting to be removed by Remedy is simple enough and will help to avoid pile-ups of incoming e-mails when seemingly active Email Engine service stops checking if there are any new messages to process.

P. S. To clarify my last post, only "normal" incoming e-mails (will) appear in RBE:Message; approval messages are directed to approval process instead of Rule Based Engine.