2 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2019 2:08 AM by Carl Wilson

Please tell me about Compensations

Mina Horiuchi
      Share This:

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me regarding Compensation process?

I am reading this documentation but still not clear about it.

Compensations - Documentation for (archive) BMC Atrium Orchestrator Platform 7.6.03 - BMC Documentation

Basically, this compensations will happen when the defined process fails? and it is like OOTB function thing? I mean do i need to set something?

Or If i should set Compensation setting for every workflow..? if so, what if i did not set Compensation to workflow?

Kind Regards,

Mina

• 1. Re: Please tell me about Compensations
          Aryan Anantwar

Hi Mina,

Compensation is like Exception handling in programming.

watch this video: BAO Fundamentals - Compensation and Error Handling - YouTube for more understanding.

Regards,

Aryan Anantwar

• 2. Re: Please tell me about Compensations
            Carl Wilson

Hi,

yes, compensation occurs when a major error in a process occurs that cannot be recovered by inline error handling e.g. Adapter Call and no running adapter.  Compensation is a sub process that the main process (or individual Activity) can invoke under these conditions where you can execute an "alternative" workflow e.g. send an email to an Administrator, monitoring application, etc, to inform them that something needs to be looked at urgently.

A thing to note here is that the compensation workflow cannot take any inputs from the main workflow that invoked it (but you can set a "special" input that contains why the process compensated), however it is useful for the above purposes or to use as an alternative to the main process if something absolutely needs to be executed (remembering that it cannot take in inputs from the main process).

Cheers

Carl