13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2019 3:15 PM by Andrew Wong

Jobs stuck with Pre-Execution status.

Avinash Reddy
      Share This:

Hi,

SAP R3 jobs for a particular connection profile are stuck with Pre-Execution status. What could be the possible cause for this? Please help me understand and fix this.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Jobs stuck with Pre-Execution status.
          Andrew Wong

Avinash, what do you mean by pre-execution status? Do the jobs active status colors show as waiting for resource, waiting host, some other color/meaning?

For any of the jobs, what's the message when you right-click the job and select Waiting Info?

Cheers,

Andrew

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Jobs stuck with Pre-Execution status.
            Avinash Reddy

Hi Andrew, The jobs turn yellow and have a black exclamation mark over the gear symbol. They doesn't have any waiting info as they are already are submitted. The logs just shows that the job is submitted to the agent but won't the "Started to execute" log.

• 3. Re: Jobs stuck with Pre-Execution status.
              Andrew Wong

Thanks for the screen shot. It looks like two possible issues:

1. The job connected successfully to SAP but lost communications; or
              2. The job couldn't connect to SAP (the Connection Profile's credentials were rejected).

To confirm (1):

• Do you see SAP messages in the job's Output that says the job connected? For example: "Job started". If so, then the credentials are good but the job lost connection.
              • Ask the SAP support team if they can see that the job started (using SAP's monitoring tools).

To confirm (2):

• Test the SAP Connection Profile in CCM and verify that it works.
              3 of 3 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Jobs stuck with Pre-Execution status.
                Avinash Reddy

1. Output is blank for the job. We will have to check with SAP team to see if the job has started at their end but I suppose it is not.

2. Validated the profile connections from CCM and it is successful.

Could there be any other possible cause?

• 5. Re: Jobs stuck with Pre-Execution status.
                  Andrew Wong

Try restarting the Control-M SAP Extractor plug-in?

Don't know if that component exists in Control-M v9 but we used to restart it whenever the SAP Control-M v8 agent got disconnected. I think there was Control-M v8 patch that eventually fixed our disconnection bug.

To restart the Control-M SAP agent extractor (assuming there is a Control-M agent installed on your SAP server, instead of using a remote agent):

1. Login to the SAP server with the Control-M agent ID.
                  2. From the Control-M agent home directory, go to subfolder ctm/cm/SAP/exe
                  3. Run shut-xt   /* shuts down the SAP extractor plug-in
                  4. Run start-xt   /* starts the SAP extractor
                  5. Logoff

Order/run a SAP job. Cross fingers!

• 6. Re: Jobs stuck with Pre-Execution status.
                    Andrew Wong

A few more things to investigate:

• Has the SBQ connection ever worked (for the SAP jobs)?
                    • Any difference between SBQ and the other SAP connection profiles?
                    • If SBQ is a new connection profile, is there a SAP security setting to be updated?

Also try rebooting the SAP Control-M agent (either shut-ag & start-ag or recycle it in CCM).

• 7. Re: Jobs stuck with Pre-Execution status.
                      Avinash Reddy

Hi Andrew, SBQ is in place from long time. It was working fine earlier and we are not sure from when these jobs started to stuck with this status. And there are no differences b/w SBQ and other SAP profiles. Restarting the SAP Control-M agent cannot be tried now as we have numerous business critical jobs running all day long on the server and won't want them to be disturbed.

• 8. Re: Jobs stuck with Pre-Execution status.
                        Andrew Wong

Avinash,

Thanks for your reply.

"...SBQ is in place from long time" and "jobs running all day long" tells you that:

• Something in the environment changed to cause the problem, so it's not a spontaneous, random bug;
                        • The Control-M agent is ok because other SAP jobs are running fine with different SAP connection profiles.

So it's just the SBQ profile that's gone south.

Has your SAP support team:

• Determined if the jobs actually start/finish?
                        • Do they see any log/error messages on the SAP server for communications or login problems from the SBQ profile?
                        • 9. Re: Jobs stuck with Pre-Execution status.
                          Avinash Reddy

I was checking with SAP support team for the answers to your two questions. I didn't hear back from them yet. Non SAP jobs on this server end fine. Also sorry for confusion caused and by "jobs running all day long" I meant the other jobs which run properly during all times of the day. I pulled a report to see from when these are being stuck and found that this is happening from May 5th. We recently have upgraded our SAP plugin to v9 but I don't see this to be related because the jobs ran fine for few days post the change. Let's see what SAP team has to say. Thanks!

• 10. Re: Jobs stuck with Pre-Execution status.
                            Andrew Wong

Hi, Avinash.

How did you finally resolve this issue?

Ironically I'm having the same problem as you! :-(

The problem occurred today. I'm opening a ticket with BMC support but if you've got any hints, I'll happily follow them.

Notes:

• I shut down/restarted the SAP Control-M agent and the SAP extractor, but the jobs are still stuck.
                            • Agent and EM are v9.0.19.100
                            • Server is v9.0.19.100 (with Patch 01)
                            • SAP R3 jobs have been running okay for weeks at the v9.0.19.100 levels.
                            • Only SAP R3 jobs are affected--OS jobs run okay on the SAP Control-M agent.
                            • 11. Re: Jobs stuck with Pre-Execution status.
                              MunKeong Lee

Hi Andrew

Could be due to the maximum number of background work processes being hit. Control-M submit the job but job can't be executed at SAP end because maximum has been reached. Contact your SAP administrator to verify. Do update if you managed to get a solution from BMC.

Regards,

MK

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Jobs stuck with Pre-Execution status.
                                pam stout

So we just recently had this same issue for an SAP job. Everything else in SAP was running fine except for this one job. Turns out we had a Target server assigned to the job rather than the default. Since our Target server was at capacity, the job in SAP showed RELEASED. Once the Target server was replaced with the default option, Control-M finally figured it out and started executing the job.

This is what we had when job was stuck:

This is what it changed to once I blanked out the field:

• 13. Re: Jobs stuck with Pre-Execution status.
                                  Andrew Wong

Thanks Pam & MunKeong. Good info.

It's been an ordeal to get it going again. Control-M is running SAP R3 jobs again but the agent is limping along and far from fixed. Actively working with BMC and my shop's SAP administrators right now. Will update again when this is all sorted out.