13 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2019 8:32 AM by Rainer Volkmer

Notification Problem

Timothy Mobley
      Share This:

There is an odd issue with notifications. I don't believe it is related to the e-mail service (more on that in a moment) because I can send e-mails directly from a Work Order or Support Request (I can also send e-mails from AI jobs). The problem seems to be directly related to notifications. What I have discovered is that the notifications get stuck in NTE:SYS-NT+Process+Control. However, when the Notification Events and Form Name fields based on the mapping section of the corresponding SYS:Notification+Messages and save, the message disappears from NT Process Control and is sent to the user.

My question is this - how/where do I set these two fields that are preventing notifications from going out. I can't find 'Notification Events' or 'Form Name' in SRD:ServiceRequestDefinition or SRM:Request (which are supposed to feed the NT Process Control form). Where then can the NT Process Control form get the information it needs?

• 1. Re: Notification Problem
          Sidhdesh Punaskar

the filter which perform push action on process control form. generally search with name NotificationGenerator. it is different for each module and each event

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Notification Problem
            Timothy Mobley

Sidhdesh Punaskar - thanks for the helpful information. When I look, for instance in the SRD:REQ:NotificationGenerator_`! filter, I do see 'Notification Type' but not 'Form Name'.

• Where are these environment variables set - or should I replace them with static values? For instance for Notification Type the value is $z1D Notification Type$.
            • For the missing 'Form Name' should I create a new push field?

Thanks again for your time and help!

• 3. Re: Notification Problem
              Sidhdesh Punaskar

Based on notification message tag other details like form name should be selected from sys notification messages form through validation filter.

You need to capture filter logs to find out why valdiation fails on process control form.

• 4. Re: Notification Problem
                Rainer Volkmer

Notification Type comes from the notifying form and is part of the Generator-filters. The form-name comes from the entry in SYS:Notification Messages.

Check the data in this form. Serach for the Message tag the stucked notification has.

Logging is also a good idea.

• 5. Re: Notification Problem
                  Timothy Mobley

Correction: I've been saying 'Notification Type' when I mean 'Notification Event'. It is Notification Event that is not getting populated in NTE:SYS-NT Process Control

Rainer Volkmer, thank you for the info. The problem is that the correct information is in SYS:Notification Messages (for instance, Notification Event is Work Order Assignee Assignment and Form Name is WOI:WorkOrder), but the same fields is blank in NTE:SYS-NT Process Control. When I manually copy/paste from Notification Messages to Process Control and then save, the e-mail goes out just fine. In Developer, when I look in the filter WOI:WOI:NotificationGereator`!, which corresponds to WOI:WorkOrder, under Push Fields, there is no mapped value for Notification Event.

Thank you!

• 6. Re: Notification Problem
                    Timothy Mobley

Update: It seems the only field that is needed in NTE:SYS-NT Process Control is the 'Notification Event' which is blank for all notifications. Once the correct value is (manually) selected, the e-mail goes out without further problem. This is true for both SRD and WOI. Looking at the filters for those two forms in Developer, I see no push field at all for 'Notification Event'. Does this not come OOTB or am I looking in the wrong place? ..or do I need to create these fields in the forms somehow, then map them in the filters?

Thank you for any help!

• 7. Re: Notification Problem
                      Sidhdesh Punaskar

based on message tag value, event is fetched from Notification event form through filters running on process control form

• 8. Re: Notification Problem
                        Sidhdesh Punaskar

it should fetch from form : NTE:CFG-Notification Events against event name which is mentioned in SYS:Notification Messages form.

• 9. Re: Notification Problem
                          Timothy Mobley

Sorry - a couple more questions...

• How do I determine which filter is getting that event field from NTE:CFG-Notification Events to NTE:SYS-NT Process Control? Is there a quick way to find which fitlers are associated with forms?
                          • Also this document says, for instance, that the Request Submitted event uses the filter SRM:REQ:NTRequesterSubmitted_ OnSubmit_SetTag. However, there is no mention (no push fields) of NTE:SYS-NT Process Control in that filter. That filter has a If Action>Call Guide set to SRM:REQ:NotificationGenerator_Execute, which doesn't exist on the AR Server - only SRM:REQ:NotificationGenerator (without the '_Execute').
                          • Finally, why do some filters end with _`!   (underscore backtick exclamation)?
                          • 10. Re: Notification Problem
                            Sidhdesh Punaskar
                            • How do I determine which filter is getting that event field from NTE:CFG-Notification Events to NTE:SYS-NT Process Control? Is there a quick way to find which fitlers are associated with forms?

You need to enable server side api sql filter logs

• Also this document says, for instance, that the Request Submitted event uses the filter SRM:REQ:NTRequesterSubmitted_ OnSubmit_SetTag. However, there is no mention (no push fields) of NTE:SYS-NT Process Control in that filter. That filter has a If Action>Call Guide set to SRM:REQ:NotificationGenerator_Execute, which doesn't exist on the AR Server - only SRM:REQ:NotificationGenerator (without the '_Execute').

The logs would give more information

• Finally, why do some filters end with _`!   (underscore backtick exclamation)?

This is concept of AR server workflows. Filters are triggered in 3 phases and if you dont want the filter to run in 2nd or 3rd phase then we add these marks in name. Push fields are specifically triggering in 2nd phase so to override that we add these in name

Overriding filter processing phasing - Documentation for Remedy Action Request System 8.1 - BMC Documentation

To override the phases for a specific filter, for example, one of a sequence of filters executed in a filter guide, you can force the filter run actions in-line (sequentially) by using a special convention for the filter name. When you create or modify the filter, its name must end in a back quote character followed by an exclamation point (`!) that has a Notify action runs the notification during Phase 1.

• 11. Re: Notification Problem
                              Sidhdesh Punaskar

I captured logs from my system

I find filter NTE:NPC:GetNotificationMessage_554 which is fetching form name from SYS:Notification Messages form again notification message tag for individual notification

• 12. Re: Notification Problem
                                Timothy Mobley

Still not able to find in those logs the filter that is supposed to push the Notification Event to NTE:SYS-NT Process Control. Here are a few things I am seeing in the logs that may or may not mean anything:

• Lots of logs mentioning both CAI:Events and CAI:EventParams. This may be nothing, but the 'EVT00000###' number mentioned in the log does not appear when I search all CAI:Events forms.
                                • I did see one 'Failed' log for the filter WOI:ACT:SENDTASKEVENT_100`!  ...I opened that filter in Developer and it looks like that filter pushes a few fields to WOI:WorkOrder, but I'm not sure if that's important.
                                • While I see mentions of the NPC ID for the new NTE:SYS-NT Process Control forms in the logs, I don't see any mention of 'Notification Event' in the logs. So I still don't know how to populate that field (other than manually).
                                • There are a lot of 'Skipped the filter' logs, but most if not all of those seem to 'Fail qualification' for things that don't apply or aren't needed
                                • I see "phase 1" and "deferred to phase 3" but nothing for phase 2, if that means anything

...that's the best I can do for summarizing the logs.

• 13. Re: Notification Problem
                                  Rainer Volkmer

As I wrote in a statement above, the form-name comes from the Notification Message.

Look for example the filter "NTE:NPC:GetNotificationMessage_556", it searches in SYS:Notification Messages for the MessageTag and gets the form-name from there.

So do the same and search for your message-tag in SYS:NotificationMessages and check what form-name is in it, also if the status of the entry is set to enabled.

If the status is not enabled, the notification will not be sent.

Regarding the Logs, the notification is triggered by an escalation, so you have to look at the logs on the server, where the escalation are running