7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2019 2:47 PM by Holly Mullins

Get rid of Get Started?

LJ LongWing
      Share This:

I was off for a few days, and when I came back I now have a 'Get Started' link in the bottom right corner

it expands to below

This looks helpful to someone that has never used Communities, but I have and I'm now 'started'....how do I go about getting rid of it?

• 1. Re: Get rid of Get Started?
          Vishnu Nair

Hi LJ, this first version of 'welcome popup' is only displayed to members who auto logs-into communities from other BMC websites (remember passive authentication?) as 80% of those members were identified to be very early in their communities journey, and this is meant for them to get started easily. We're sorry that it's not very helpful to champions like you.

We are still working on improving this feature in the next iterations, and omitting this out for members with more points is already in talks. The links also will be changed depending on the trends of usage.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Get rid of Get Started?
            Vishnu Nair

To your question- to get rid of this you'll need to log into communities first, before logging into other okta powered BMC applications in the same window.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Get rid of Get Started?
              LJ LongWing

That did it for me....I have so many BMC windows open that I don't know which one caused the login ....logout/back in did the trick though.

• 4. Re: Get rid of Get Started?
                LJ LongWing

Maybe when you get it tuned depending on trends you could call it 'Quick Actions' or something like that

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Get rid of Get Started?
                  Holly Mullins

From the point of view as one of those "new people"...that little window wasn't any help to me at first either.  I was invited to the world of BMC by my boss.  I got the link and tried to jump right in and got really frustrated slogging through all of the community pages and various other places because nothing worked.  The "Get Started Here" tab didn't appear until 24 hours after I started clicking around - maybe because my profile wasn't fully developed until the next day?

Related to the other comment above, I think I had so many windows open, and that they may have opened in the wrong order for what was expected of a new user, BMC.com didn't know which one contained the most up to date version of my profile and what I should have access to.

Also, now that my profile seems to be fully functional,I noticed it takes about 5 seconds for any click to catch up to what I'm doing in the Support pages when I'm going back and forth between ITSM 19.02 and 18.08 Docs looking for info.  That's not good considering the nature of BMCs business model...

I think the "Get Started Here" needs to be in the VERY FIRST email you ever get from BMC and it should tell you what to expect that first day.

I think the idea is a good one - even for all of you old school guys - maybe it just needs to be more dynamic with different fields based on profile point values and communities.

• 6. Re: Get rid of Get Started?
                    Vishnu Nair

Thanks for the feedback, Holly. We will fine tune this functionality in the upcoming releases based on usage trends.

By the way, were you introduced (auto redirected) to our communities learn page upon first login? That's another place where you can find some get started resources. 

I think I had so many windows open, and that they may have opened in the wrong order for what was expected of a new user

To clarify; this welcome popup is currently only displayed if you are accessing communities after you've logged into another BMC website (such as docs, support) in the same browser session.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Get rid of Get Started?
                      Holly Mullins

Yes, the Communities Learn Page is where I started out when I got into Communities - but it didn't look anything like it does now...for about the first 24 hours.  I initially started as logging into BMC Academy, then went to Support, then Docs, then Communities.  I eventually gave up on communities for the day and stayed in Docs just reading through everything.  I wish I had kept a screen shot of communities for you to see.  The important boxes were completely greyed out as shown in my attached sketch and none of my account info was responding to enable me to ask for help.  It's all great now though.  Here's a crude idea of what it looked like on day one.

Communities Learn Page Sections Greyed Out and Inbox malfunctioned for first 24 hrs of membership.PNG