I think I found the problem. I have two jobs that doesn't belong to any folder (orphan jobs).
How do I fix that because I can't open them.
4 of 4 people found this helpful
I exported the parent folder to XML and re-imported it and checked it back in.
This fixed the problem.
1 of 1 people found this helpful
This is often the way to deal with similar issues, however you do need to be careful with XML exports/imports (e.g. you lose the job history when you do this).
Hi Bhanu Badiginchala ,
You got me, I use XML and would always use it . However we purchased Control-M Workload Change Manager last year and will probably start using that in future.
It probably sounds like I'm suggesting XML for "people who know what they are doing" but my site is very centralized with the Control-M Admin actually creating the bulk of the jobs on behalf of end users (some of who never actually log in!). I always take backups of the XML tables before and carefully check the results. I have had bad experiences following "unintended consequences" following updates, although that can also happen with the Mass Update tool. If I really mess up then we can always restore the table via Planning.
I have told a couple of my "power users" about the XML possibilities and said I'll do the changes for them if they need to do something with it.
The downside of using XML is the loss of the history and associated 'granular' restore of jobs.
Yup, couldn't agree more