2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2019 11:05 AM by Jacek Szlaczka

Advantages of using Cloud credentials vs Host credentials

Jacek Szlaczka
      Share:|

Hi there,

Does using native cloud credentials (e.g. Azure) offer better discovery vs. using host credentials, for every individual device hosted in the cloud?

If so, what's the difference and where can I find more info about it?

All I found that tries to explain it is the following quote:
      "A significant difference is that cloud discovery uses the cloud vendor's API to extract data on your cloud services, rather than the direct access used in scanning your on-premises infrastructure. However, you can obtain the richest data on your cloud services using both techniques, and BMC Discovery ties all of the data together to provide a broad, coherent view."

Introduction to cloud discovery - BMC Discovery 11.3 - BMC Documentation

So as I understand, both ways offer the same results, is that correct?

• 1. Re: Advantages of using Cloud credentials vs Host credentials
          Duncan Grisby

You get different information with the two approaches. As the quote says, you get the richest data if you use both. If you scan Azure VM hosts using host credentials, you will get Host nodes in Discovery, the same way as if you scanned on-premise virtual machines. You won't get VirtualMachine nodes or information about the cloud service they belong to, or any other information about non-host cloud resources you are using.

With just access to the Azure API, you do get information about VirtualMachines, all the other discovered cloud resources (like load balancers, network configuration, and so on), but you don't Host nodes and the deep details about the software running on them.

If you have both kinds of access, you get all the information and it is all linked together as you'd expect.

• 2. Re: Advantages of using Cloud credentials vs Host credentials
            Jacek Szlaczka

Ahh that makes sense, for some reason I misunderstood it Thanks!