2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2019 11:37 AM by Shankar Masekar

List of attributes that discovery can retrieve using AWS Cloud API against it hosted instances that can be sync’ed with CMDB.

Shankar Masekar
      Share:|

Hi

I’m looking for list of attributes that discovery can retrieve using AWS Cloud API against it hosted instances that can be sync’ed with CMDB.

I did ran few scan across few AWS accounts using API scan & discovered few EC2 instances & other AWS resources, for which discovery shows few attributes of the instances.

However discovery appears to shows several other additional attributes of the AWS instances when we click on shows provenance & see it under ‘discovered Cloud API Result’  for E.g. Network Interface details , Block storage devices, Security groups etc.

I also noticed that, these additional attributes for the VM cannot be displayed in discovery scan reports even if I tried to add using customize columns using appropriate cloud class relationship , hence not sure if these additional attributes can be synced with CMDB.

I don’t see much details on BMC docs on this, hence can someone help me with below …

1. List of attributes discovery can retrieve from AWS Cloud API scan for all cloud resource types (VM Instances, load balancer etc. )
      2. Can we sync all the attributes including the additional attributes displayed under ‘discovered Cloud API Result’  with CMDB ?
      3. Can we retrieve AWS tags & its values from discovery & if yes, can we also sync AWS tags values to CMDB ? If yes,
      4. Do we need any additional CMDB mapping to be done to sync Cloud attributes/tags ?

Your help on this would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Shankar

• 1. Re: List of attributes that discovery can retrieve using AWS Cloud API against it hosted instances that can be sync’ed with CMDB.
          Andrew Waters

What is retrieved will depend upon the TKU you are using.

Many of the results in the DDD from cloud requests are not simple attributes. Discovery does not try to make a list of simple attributes because you would end up with very complicated DDD node structure. If you want to see what is retrieve you will need to go and look at the AWS documentation. Administration -> Cloud Provider -> Amazon Web Services has a link to the supported requests and clicking on it beings up a dialog with the appropriate AWS documentation page.

Realistically you are not going to just push all the values to the CMDB. It is a lot of complex information and would need converting because it could be added.

The AWS tags, more in later TKU versions, are record in the inferred model. If should be possible to push values to the CMDB. It is not done by default.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: List of attributes that discovery can retrieve using AWS Cloud API against it hosted instances that can be sync’ed with CMDB.
            Shankar Masekar

Hi Andrew, Thanks for your reply !

Just to provide you a little background, the customer I’m working with is using discovery 11.3  with latest TKU updated : TKU-2019-01-3-ADDM-11.3+ to discover endpoints across all DC’s as well Public cloud resources hosted on AWS & then sync them with CMDB.

However, due to certain network restrictions in accessing cloud resources from discovery appliance over IP address, customer cannot run deep discover against AWS Cloud hosted data, hence they are leveraging discovery API scan to discover AWS resources, knowing API scan provides limited data as compared to deep discovery.

Since the data discovered using AWS API is limited, they would like to know the list of attributes that discovery can retrieve using AWS API based scan, so that they can populate rest of the AWS instance host related attributes/data manually into CMDB. Customer is using AWS SSM to retrieve AWS Host related data that they would import it into CMDB based on their requirement.

They also would like to know if they can use 'instance_id' of the AWS VM as primary key attribute to merge discovery AWS API scan data with AWS SSM generated host data into CMDB, but not sure if 'instance_id' attribute can be synced to CMDB by default or it would require custom mapping.

This below DOC links shows list of attributes only for AWS EC2 instances but not sure if this is the comprehensive list  or there are more attributes discovery can retrieve from AWS API scan..

https://docs.bmc.com/docs/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=811087474

Hence, Please see if you can help me get the list of attributes discovery retrieves during AWS Cloud API scan .

Regards,

Shankar