4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2019 2:12 PM by Anne Brock

Required to Export 70k+ RF Incidents

Thomas Lauranzano
      Share:|

Hello--THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ AND REPLY TO MY QUESTION Tom Lauranzano

My company has been added to a Remedy 9 On Premise platform so we will let our RemedyForce subscription lapse at the end of this month.

Since we need to keep only ticket history I have been asked to ensure our RF tickets be accessible through whatever platform I choose. One caveat: I cannot utilize the Remedy 9 platform or any of its systems to do this.

I would like to export the tickets, then use the data to populate a newly created Access Database that will live on a Shared Network Drive and be accessed by 7-10 technicians.

My question:

Are the steps (pasted below) correct, still relevant (dated 2015 but updated 2018) and will it give me what I need?

In other words:

1. will this process give me all of the data related to incidents?

AND:

2. Using MS Access, can I create tables from the exported RF data I would normally use to populate rows with RF Incident Console column headers shown here?

How to Export Remedyforce (RF) Data and Import it Into a SQL Database to Analyze with Crystal Reports, Cognos, etc...

ANSWER:

Below are the required steps to export data from SFDC and import it into SQL as well as create a working view.  Assuming the Reporting DBAs can access SFDC, the RF admin should be able to hand this process of to the DBA team.  If not the RF Admin will need to periodically send DBA team the Incident and User CSVs.  The DBAs should be able to automate the rest of the process for reporting.

NOTE: BMC Supplies this information as is, to get the data out of SFDC. BMC will not support the Import of data into your SQL database or the writing of the desired reports against the data once it is imported into the SQL database.  This document is provided as a proof of concept, ONLY.  If you need this but cannot do it using the information in this document contact your BMC Salesperson to arrange a professional services engagement.

NOTE: This process covers Incidents, but it can be applied to Changes, Problems and Tasks.

1. 1.     Export Incidents, User object data from SF using Data Export.

1. Log into RF | Click Setup | Click Yes.
        2. Click your username | Click Setup.
        3. Under Administration Setup Expand Data Management | Click Data Export.
        4. Click Export Now.
        5. Tick Include in Export.
        6. Tick Users.
        7. Tick BMCServiceDesk__Incident__c
        8. Click Start Export.
        9. Wait for the email with the download link. (Usually takes less than 5 minutes).
        10. In the email Click the link (If prompted log in).
        11. Click Download.
        12. Open the Download and Extract the User.csv and BMCServiceDesk_Incident_c.csv files.

NOTE: Open these in Excel and observe the dates are now in the correct format.

1. 2.     Export Group object using Data Loader since this object did not show up from Data Export within Salesforce.

NOTE: Unless more queues are add this will only need to be done once.

1. Launch the APEX Data Loader.
        2. Click Export.
        3. Login via the data loader login screen | Click Next.
        4. Tick Show all SFDC objects.
        5. Scroll down and Select Group (Group).
        6. Select/Name a target for extraction | Click Next.
        7. Click Select All fields

NOTE: To export only queue data add a query clause with the following conditions:  Field: = Type, Operation:= equals, and Value:= Queue.
        NOTE: Dates will not be in the correct format but all you are looking for are the OwnerIDs, Names and Types.

8. Click Finish | Click Yes.

1. 3.     Import the above 3 objects into SQL Server.  I called these objects Incidents, Groups and Users.