8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2019 2:07 PM by Kevin Wick

Control-M for z/OS bulk job update?

Paul Smith
      Share This:

Is there a mechanism to perform a bulk update on job definitions?  I'm looking to change the priority definition for 1000+ jobs and would like to automate the update if possible. 

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Control-M for z/OS bulk job update?
          Paul Smith

UPDATE - I've done some work with CTMTBUPD, but that is really cumbersome for this volume of work, since the JOB parm doesn't allow me to specify multiple job names (though the * mask does help).  CTMTLB is another option, but that requires exporting the table modifying it then importing it back...

• 2. Re: Control-M for z/OS bulk job update?
            Paul Robins

Assuming you don't have Enterprise Manager...

Have you considered a script? Not sure how complex your changes are, but if all the jobs in 1 folder\table are being set to the same value, you could use a REXX or somesuch to update column 10 in all rows starting with 'D'.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Control-M for z/OS bulk job update?
              Paul Smith

Thanks Paul.  The updates aren't to everything in the table, just what's considered 'critical path' in the batch, so it varies from table to table.  I was also  trying to stay within functions provided by the product, as I'm not the one doing the update. 

We did our initial update via EM with a handful (50) of jobs in different tables.  When the update was complete we found EM had filled in several fields with values we didn't provide and that didn't show up as changed in the XML compare, but did show after I ran CTMTLB against the backup and updated tables and compared the two.  I'm still working with support on why that happened.  Most of the updates are default values and were filled in where no value had been specified, others (MAXRERUN-CYC="6448") I can't explain.

• 4. Re: Control-M for z/OS bulk job update?
                Paul Robins

Might have to resort to a KSL!

• 5. Re: Control-M for z/OS bulk job update?
                  Paul Smith

FYI - I opened a ticket asking about the values  being filled in, Support stated this was expected behavior.  We've updated about 1500 jobs in groups of anywhere from 50 to over 600 and seen no issues.

• 6. Re: Control-M for z/OS bulk job update?
                    Pieter Rogge

Hi,

we are seeing the same behavior: when unload a table to a seq file with CTMTLB some values are randomly filled in. For example if MAXRERUN was set to "empty" or "0" (which seems to be equivalent) => MAXRERUN-CYC="6448" appears in the sequential file. This is not at all what we want.

Any tips on fixing this?

Regards,

Pieter

• 7. Re: Control-M for z/OS bulk job update?
                      Kevin Wick

We've seen issues with CTMTLB when running v803 schedule records with a v806 CTMTLB, but never when running the same versions.  I would certainly open a defect.

• 8. Re: Control-M for z/OS bulk job update?
                        Kevin Wick

CTMBUPD is the way to go, as long as the fields you want to change are supported.  It would really be nice if all the fields were supported.

When there is a lot of random jobs to change, we write a custom program to generate the JCL and control cards.  Then, you can just submit what the custom program gives you.  It's worth the effort, for sure.

1 of 1 people found this helpful