6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2019 11:28 AM by Nicolas Roome

Knowledge base migration from Footprints 11 to FP12

Samir Kazi
      Share This:

Hi All,

Happy holidays and happy new year in advance!!!

Is it possible to migrate the Knowledge base from FP 11 to FP 12? If yes, kindly explain how. I was not able to find any article on knowledgebase or documentation regarding this.

Warm Regards,

• 1. Re: Knowledge base migration from Footprints 11 to FP12
          Nicolas Roome

There is no automated way to migrate Knowledge solutions however it can be done manually just the same as you'd migrate tickets from any old system to a new system. Basically follow these steps:

1) Export the data from the current system using a database query (or product function if it exists, but it doesn't in v11 to my knowledge)

2) Convert the data to the new system

3) Import the data in the new system

From a v11 to v12 I'd do it this way:

1) Write a SQL query select the KB data (columns and rows) you want. Do your data conversion as part of the SQL query. This isn't strictly necessary but its quicker and more efficient. IMO. Save the query output including header to CSV. Make sure you set the SQL query output to include header and to be set for CSV output (wrapping textarea fields in double quotes and such)

2) Create a Knowledge import package using the CSV file you created in step 1

*Note that attachments and historical data wont be coming across. You could get historical data but that just complicates things immensely... and attachments, it's generally accepted in our industry that attachments are never migrated. For one or more of 3 reasons: It might not be possible to extract attachments from the old software (in v11, you can though), it might not be possible to convert the attachments (not an issue in v11 and v12), and it might not be possible to import/load the attachments in the new software (in v12, you cannot import attachments, and unless you want to hack Apache Jackrabbit.. there is no way to load them.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Knowledge base migration from Footprints 11 to FP12
            Samir Kazi

Thanks Nicolas for your feedback and detailed information. I really appreciate it.

• 3. Re: Knowledge base migration from Footprints 11 to FP12
              John Sutton

By hand, unfortunately. When we went from 11 to 12, we had to do it all by hand. Very tedious process for our (then) 600 KB articles

• 4. Re: Knowledge base migration from Footprints 11 to FP12
                Samir Kazi

True, John. I also tried the same manually on our dev environment and then we will migrate to production from dev which should take long. :-)

• 5. Re: Knowledge base migration from Footprints 11 to FP12
                  tony slade

Hi Nicolas.  Is this statement still true?  "(in v12, you cannot import attachments, and unless you want to hack Apache Jackrabbit.. there is no way to load them."

We're discussing this with a consultant.  FP11 Linux/postgres  --> FP12 SqlServer

thanks,

tony

• 6. Re: Knowledge base migration from Footprints 11 to FP12
                    Nicolas Roome

Hi Tony, nothing new on this front. It's pretty standard - IMO - that attachments don't migrate. I had spent about a week or so trying to learn as much as I could on this process, and got roughly 2/3 of the way through, but that middle 1/3 part which is the most complex was not something I could figure out. Unfortunately BMC didn't know either.