11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2018 4:00 AM by Vaibhav Singh

ADDM to CMDB mapping

Suraj Nair
      Share:|

Hi everyone,

We have ADDM 11.3 on our environment.

We are doing some mapping of value from ADDM i.e we have created the customized Pattern Module(CMDB.Extension.ComputerSystem_Augment) in ADDM which will allow us to send value/fields of server into CMDB specific tabs.

Below are some fields in CMDB to which we have to send the data from ADDM.

I have mention the value for OS and IsVirtual for your reference, that is the correct value which are getting into CMDB through ADDM

computersystem.OperatingSystem:= os_name;

computersystem.DB_ID:= ?

computersystem.DBVersion:= ?

computersystem.DBProductionName:= ?

computersystem.AllottedStorage_inGB:=?

computersystem.StorageUtilized_inGB:= ?

computersystem.isVirtual:=cdm_virtual;

computersystem.Cluster:= ?

computersystem.SID:= ?

computersystem.IPAddress1:= ?

computersystem.IPAddress2:= ?

I need the exact value according to name define on left hand side from ADDM, as i have got 2 name(i.e os_name and cdm_virtual)

• 1. Re: ADDM to CMDB mapping
          Brian Morris

What you want to do is have the Database name (not the label) of the field in the CMDB and then map some value from the object in Discovery that you're trying to send over.  The Taxonomy defines what these fields and objects are called.

To find this, in your appliance, go to Administration -> View Taxonomy

Then search for the thing you're trying to synchronize. You may need to write a couple of sync patterns or use traversals since you're trying to access values from a few different object types in BMC Discovery. There are example patterns here https://communities.bmc.com/community/bmcdn/discovery/pages/patterns

Lisa Keeler and Eric Plunk have written some nice samples with great explainations.

• 2. Re: ADDM to CMDB mapping
            Andrew Waters

Starting from the taxonomy is the wrong place.

What are you trying to represent? For example the current mappings use BMC_IPEndpoint to represent IP addresses. If you really want to add IPAddress to BMC_ComputerSystem how are you going to pick which IPs if there are more than two?

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: ADDM to CMDB mapping
              Suraj Nair

Hi Andrew,

That is the question how i will pick the keyword from module or Pattern. Are you able understand what i am asking for?

We have CMDB in which all the data from ADDM is sync , now what we want the data which is sync into CMDB that we want to Sync it in another form of Remedy, so that we can see it in Front-end(Note: We dont want to change the path of sync, we just need both data in frontend as well as in backend) .

While doing this i got 2 keyword(cdm_virtual and os_name )  from moduel/pattern. You see in the below screenshot that value of IsVirtual  is getting populated in the frontend form of remedy.

• 4. Re: ADDM to CMDB mapping
                Andrew Waters

I have no idea what

That is the question how i will pick the keyword from module or Pattern

means.

You cannot have two completely different mappings. There is only one set of CMDB syncmappings. They are all used for syncing to every CMDB connection.

• 5. Re: ADDM to CMDB mapping
                  Eric Plunk

Hi Suraj.

You have computer system and database in your extension pattern.  Maybe this is okay, but I find it easier to keep things separate.  I use one extension pattern for computur system, and one extension pattern for database.

Then use existing patterns as a foundation for the extensions.  For example,

Module = CMDB.Database

Module = CMDB.Host_ComputerSystem

- Eric

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: ADDM to CMDB mapping
                    Brice-Emmanuel Loiseaux

As you wrote it, almost all of these extra attributes that you want to add to a BMC_ComputerSystem CI are already present into the related CI graph, within BMC_Cluster, BMC_Database, BMC_IPEndpoint CIs.. I understand you want to have a specific form in Remedy showing a consolidated view of some attributes of these CIs. I would suspect the solution is available within a Remedy software feature. Ask Remedy experts.

• 7. Re: ADDM to CMDB mapping
                      Suraj Nair

Hii Brice,

Thank you for suggestion. I had conversation with Remedy expert about this, it is not possible for us to map the value from remedy into another form because of database complexity.So they are asking us to Map the values from ADDM to direct into Remedy by creating new pattern/module customized.

• 8. Re: ADDM to CMDB mapping
                        Vaibhav Singh

We have a support case#00631580 on this. I will be scheduling call with Suraj to discuss this.

Vaibhav

• 9. Re: ADDM to CMDB mapping
                          Stefan Hall

I wonder what you're trying to achieve. We discuss here about possible solutions and missing forms/possibilities without knowing the goal.

For example, we show a consolidated view of a CI in a hover on the CI field in the incident form. There you have all possibilities, you can collect information from several forms and - very important - a hover is relatively upgrade-proof.

So, who needs where other information?

• 10. Re: ADDM to CMDB mapping
                            Brian Morris

I'm not seeing the disconnect either here.  As Brice said, there are already many mappings available to use as templates: BMC_ComputerSystem CI are already present into the related CI graph, within BMC_Cluster, BMC_Database, BMC_IPEndpoint CIs.. etc.  As I said, if it's a custom field in remedy, you need to know the database name and then do a resync on the discovery side so it sees the new value. If it's an existing field on an object type that is already mapped, you can look up the Discovery name for this on the taxonomy and use the proper synch template to map it.  Perhaps Andrew would do things differently but at some point consulting the taxonomy is a good idea if you want to figure out what an existing attribute is called in Discovery.

• 11. Re: ADDM to CMDB mapping
                              Vaibhav Singh

Had a call with Suraj and his CMDB team.

The requirement is to map additional host attributes to BMC_Computersystem class. I have Suggested to modify and use the "template_cmdb_cs_augment" for this.

Vaibhav