5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2018 7:17 AM by Indrajit Jadhav

Patrol device name

Indrajit Jadhav
      Share This:

Dear Experts,

In our environment, there are some devices reported with FQDN some with hostname only. Some device names are in upper case and others are in lowercase. We want devices with hostname only in lower case to maintain integrity. We do not have control over environment to correct host name/domain name/resolve.conf on all servers. I want to do it through CMA/Infra policy. Please let me know if anyone has configured policy to achieve this.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Patrol device name
          Anant Kotkar

Hello Indrajit,

Greetings!

You can add /AgentSetup/integration/publishHostName/ this variable in patrol config and put the hostname for the patrol agent.

Regards,

Anant Kotkar

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Patrol device name
            Indrajit Jadhav

Could you please provide the configuration variable with value. So that i can push this variable toball agents using create single policy.

Additionally what do I need to do to have device name in lower case only?

Thanks,

• 3. Re: Patrol device name
              Anant Kotkar

Hello Indrajit,

Greetings!

You can refer the Integration variables - BMC PATROL Agent 10.7 - BMC Documentation link to add the /AgentSetup/integration/publishHostName/ variable.

You need to add this variable explicitly in every patrol agent config with respective the hostname of that patrol agent host. You can provide your hostname in lowercase.

Regards,

Anant Kotkar

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Patrol device name
                EDOARDO SPELTA

Hello,

i don't think this is a solution for the described use case: suppose you are monitoring 100 or more patrolagents, you wouldn't be able to set that variable with the desired PA name for each of them one by one. Even if you went through the pain of doing it, you would end up with a static list of hardcoded hostnames and couldn not mantain it.

That variable should be set with a dynamic value calculated from hostname, stripped of domain (if any) and set to lowercase which, to my knowledge, can't be done in  variable setting section in CMA policies nor in CFG mgr nor wpconfig.

You would need something outside the PA thar runs on all servers, detect and elaborates the desired hostname and set the variable. Even in this case you would end up with duplicated devices on BPPM/TSIM.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Patrol device name
                  Indrajit Jadhav

Thanks Anant, It’s operationally not feasible to set this variable manually for each system.

Thanks and Regards,

Indrajit