1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 28, 2018 4:09 PM by Trevar Pearce

TrackitAudit.id location and current purpose post 10.5

Trevar Pearce
      Share:|

Hi there,

We've noticed that if we run Audit.exe or TIAgentAudit.exe with elevated privileges, it creates the TrackitAudit.id file at the root of C:\. If we run either .exe as a standard user, TrackitAudit.id is created/recreated in C:\ProgramData. Since we run TIAgentAudit.exe in a logon script and our users don't have elevated privileges, the file generally goes in C:\ProgramData.

I've read discussions about the fact that TrackitAudit.id is no longer (since 10.5) used to match computers to records in the Inventory, though we have seen a couple of instances where duplicate records have been created in the Inventory (that was a while ago, either on 11.2 or 11.4, and we don't have records of why it may have happened). So a couple of questions:

1. If TrackitAudit.id is no longer used to match computers to records in the Inventory, what is its current purpose?

2. If TrackitAudit.id is created in C:\ProgramData, is it also looked for in that location? I.E. is any functionality compromised by TrackitAudit.id being in C:\ProgramData rather than the root of C:\? The reason I ask this is because running a logon script with elevated privileges isn't as easy these days as it once was (can't store administrative credentials in a GPO).

Thanks,

Trevar