5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2018 9:00 AM by Nicolas Roome

Footprints Database size is huge

Hazim Tawalbeh

The database has a huge size 18 GB, Anyone knows what caused this.

• 1. Re: Footprints Database size is huge
          Nicolas Roome

Run the 'Disk Usage by Top Tables' report in SQL and post the outpost:

• 2. Re: Footprints Database size is huge
            Hazim Tawalbeh

Hi Nicolas

thank you for your reply, Please see the below result :

• 3. Re: Footprints Database size is huge
              Nicolas Roome

So the good news is your database itself is pretty small, likely around 1.5gb or so based on what I see in your screenshot. Odds are your logfile is huge, and likely empty too. Sounds like your database or backup plan is not properly setup. Run the 'Disk Usage' report and post the output:

I'm betting we'll see that the 'Data File Space Reserved' will likely be around that 1.5gb, and that the 'Transaction Log Space Reserved' might be closer to that 16.5gb mark. And probably with a large majority of it as 'Unused'.

A few things you can do here:

- Determine what kind of database backup you want to have (hint: you should have one). Then make sure the database recovery model is on 'Full'. It should be. If you really don't want to have a backup plan, then you can switch it to 'simple' but I do not recommend this for a production database. For dev and test that is fine though!

- Build your backup plan and make sure it works. Check with your SQL DBAs.

- Shrink your database to regain those more-than-likely-empty 16gb log file waste.

• 4. Re: Footprints Database size is huge
                Hazim Tawalbeh

I really appreciate your support,

you are right. the logs file is huge and the 'Data File Space Reserved'  around that 1.2gb, do you think the reason for this is the high availability group (always in cluster)?

SQL.PNG

• 5. Re: Footprints Database size is huge
                  Nicolas Roome

Your cluster may play a part, but my guess is your DB backup strategy is not properly implemented. Talk to your DBAs.

Your log file is completely empty. You can easily free up the space right now without impacting anything by doing a database file shrink. Right click on your database go to Tasks -> Shrink -> Files and select the logfile.