14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2019 4:48 AM by Ashutosh Deshpande

Deleting records from AR System Configuration Component

Raumin Tadayon
      Share:|

I have moved my AR system to a new server and repointed it to the current production database. One of the issues I have is when I send an email with a link the correct link is displayed

http://gadvaaprm01/arsys/servlet/ViewFormServlet?server=grdvaap10&form=DSCADA+Trouble+Ticket&eid=000000000005230

This link is correct but when you click the link and log in it wants to connect to the OLD remedy server and I get a

"ARERR [9280]   A failure occurred because the name of the server grdvaap10 is not in the list of valid mid tier servers."

Now, the old server (grdvaap10)  is not in any midtier configuration. I've already checked all the usual places. BUT I did come across this tool in the artools folder called "arsrename" that scans the system and  shows me where all the traces of the old server name would still be.

One of the places that came up is the "AR System Configuration Component" form. When I look at the entries I see three things.

1. Old Server Name -  GRDVAAP10.cce2.gpc
      2. New Server Name - GADVAAPRM01.cce3.gpc
      3. New Server Name IP - 10.5.144.39

The question is would it be safe to delete all the old server name records? Basically anything with a GRDVAAP10 in it.

This form seems to have multiple "type" entries with the old server name, new server name, and IP of the new server.

• 1. Re: Deleting records from AR System Configuration Component
          Mohammad Rehman

Before you proceed with deletion or updates, please do the following.

1) Backup the Database

2) backup the forms data before any record delete or update

I am sure you have followed the KA Remedy - Server - There are too many server names showing up in my Centralized Configuration menus

Also make sure the document steps were taken care when you cloned the environment.

Changing a server name when using a duplicated or migrated environment - Documentation for Remedy Action Request System …

BMC has too much lacking in this area, no proper documentation and too much references around. If you delete any information accidently from these forms then you are done, BMC has no solution for you. I have been shouting for many years and no one listens and document don't cover everything.

I will suggest to go through these forms behind the scenes and make backup of all records before deleting any entries.

Good Luck!!!

• 2. Re: Deleting records from AR System Configuration Component
            Marek Ceizel

Actually, why to delete the entries with previous server name. He is gone so just replace everything with new server name.

To be really sure I did:

- Search through the whole ARSystem DB for the old server name and replace relevant configuration forms data (you can find a script for this)

- Search through all files content for the old server name and replace that (I used e.g. total commander. in unix you can use grep)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Deleting records from AR System Configuration Component
              Jason Miller

On Windows I also like BareGrep to give that greppy feeling.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Deleting records from AR System Configuration Component
                Raumin Tadayon

Do you know what the purpose of the AR System Configuration Component form is suppose to do?

• 5. Re: Deleting records from AR System Configuration Component
                  Ashutosh Deshpande

AR System Configuration Component and all other AR System Configuration* forms are used in Centralized Configuration (CCS) feature in platform. This form is used for storing configurations for all components (server, plugin server, midtier, email, Smart IT, etc.) Component form is the parent form for all configurations and contains 1 entry per component instance e.g. 1 entry for server, 1 entry per every plugin server, and so on. There are also 2 other regular forms AR System Configuration Setting and AR System Configuration Component-Setting Mapping that are used for storing actual configuration key values and their mapping with the parent component record.

Coming to your original question "The question is would it be safe to delete all the old server name records? " >> Yes, it is safe to delete old server entry from this form. But before deleting this entry, you should also delete corresponding entries from other 2 forms using the GUID mapping. However, if you do not delete entries from these forms, they will just remain orphan. They will not cause any functional impact.

But, going back to your original problem, where email link contains old server name, it is probably not due to this configuration entry. It is probably one of the configuration values from current server's email config types configurations. You may want to check that too.

Hope this helps.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Deleting records from AR System Configuration Component
                    Mohammad Rehman

Hi Ashutosh,

Appreciate your detailed explanation of CCS.

Last 2 week I have gone through this exercise and come to conclusion you should not delete entries, even before starting the new server, open the database and  replace old server name with new server name and start the new server. I experienced going through different case scenarios to figure it out every other scenario failed, except the database level changes before starting the server.

Note: It took me many database restores to understand and come to conclusion

Thanks

Mohammad

• 7. Re: Deleting records from AR System Configuration Component
                      Raumin Tadayon

Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys. I'm going to take your solutions and try them out. I got side tracked and finally getting back to this issue of the midtier sending users to the old server when they click the link.

I'll keep everyone posted in a few, thanks for your input into this.

• 8. Re: Deleting records from AR System Configuration Component
                        Thad Esser

Ashutosh,

https://selfservice.bmc.com/casemgmt/sc_KnowledgeArticle?sfdcid=kA214000000d8U2CAI&type=Solution

https://communities.bmc.com/docs/DOC-61469

With regard to orphan records the above two articles (they are basically the same) mention that deleting records on the AR System Configuration Component form will trigger filters to delete records on the related AR System Configuration Component-Setting Mapping and AR System Configuration Setting forms.  However, on my 18.05 system, those filters are attached to the AR System Configuration Component Setting form (which is a join form), so they wouldn't fire as indicated in the articles.

Would it be better to delete records from that join form instead of the ones those articles mention in order to prevent orphaned records?  Do you have a query (SQL or otherwise) that would identify orphans?

Thanks in advance.

• 9. Re: Deleting records from AR System Configuration Component
                          Ashutosh Deshpande

Thad Esser,

Yes, you are right. Deleting record from AR System Configuration Component will not delete any child records. It will leave orphan records in remaining 2 forms. So, the best way is to first delete all entries from the join form AR System Configuration Component Setting for the unwanted component, and then delete the component itself from AR System Configuration Component form.

Here is some more detail on how to find out orphan record. I tried it internally, so providing the sql scripts with comments inline. Hope that doesn't cause any confusion.

-- example data created via AR System Configuration Component Setting join form

-- component type = com.test

-- componet name = component1

-- settings:

--    setting1 = value1

--    setting2 = value2

select schemaId, name from arschema where name like 'AR System Configuration Component' or name like 'AR System Configuration Setting' or name like 'AR System Configuration Component-Setting Mapping'; -- find schema ids

-- output

-- 8 AR System Configuration Component

-- 6 AR System Configuration Component-Setting Mapping

-- 21 AR System Configuration Setting

select * from T8 where C3201 = 'com.test' and C3200 = 'component1'; -- finds 1 row for com.test component

select * from T6 where C3207 in (select C179 from T8 where C3201 = 'com.test' and C3200 = 'component1'); -- finds 2 rows containing mappings for component guid and setting guid

select * from T21 where C179 in (select C3206 from T6 where C3207 in (select C179 from T8 where C3201 = 'com.test' and C3200 = 'component1')); -- finds 2 rows for settings

-- now delete the component com.test/component1 from AR System Configuration Component form, just to create orphan data for test purpose

-- orphan records will stay in both other forms, find them

select * from T6 where C3207 not in (select C179 from T8); -- find orphans in AR System Configuration Component-Setting Mapping

select * from T21 where C179 in (select C3206 from T6 where C3207 not in (select C179 from T8)); -- find orphans in AR System Configuration Setting

select * from T21 where C179 not in (select C3206 from T6); -- find orphans in AR System Configuration Setting

-- above orphan records can be deleted safely - I suggest do it via midtier so that audit history is retained

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                          • 11. Re: Deleting records from AR System Configuration Component
                            Stefan Hall

I don't understand BMC here. In the newer versions relationships between tables can be defined and for some Tablets BMC has already done. So there is an OOB mechanism at AR level to keep dependent forms consistent.

Please use this OOB for ccs and spare your customers such instructions. It should be a no brainer for every BMC Developer.

• 12. Re: Deleting records from AR System Configuration Component
                              Ashutosh Deshpande

Thank you Stefan Hall for the feedback. Please keep it coming. I believe you are referring to the "Associations" feature that can help define parent-child kind of relationships. While it may be possible to implement it as such, it cannot be implemented in a foolproof way due to backward compatibility reasons. Some components including custom programs by customers may be creating settings first and then actual component. The old system allowed that, so does new system. This wouldn't have been possible if the 3-way join interface was always used to create component and settings. So, it's difficult to make it foolproof.

Also, I provided above information related to databases only for informational purpose. It is not expected to go to the database and find or delete records. The first part of my earlier message informs about how to use 2 forms via midtier to avoid any inconsistencies. If it is followed, there is no reason to go to the database at all.

Hope this helps.

• 13. Re: Deleting records from AR System Configuration Component
                                Stefan Hall

Hi Ashutosh,

thank you for your explanation and "associations" is the correct term on AR level.

However, I do not understand BMC here. ccs is relatively new and backware compatibility should no reason to prevent general improvements. Currently the system is already a configuration monster and with this setting it will never get better. I don't think that it should be the job of customers to keep system information, forms synchronized. If it doesn't work with assignment - I don‘t believe, then implement appropriate filters.

The requirement is very simple, remove a server with all its dependent information from ccs - just one click and not for each component or at DB level.

• 14. Re: Deleting records from AR System Configuration Component
                                  Ashutosh Deshpande

I understand. Thanks Stefan Hall for the comments and suggestions. Let us evaluate. We have internally created a defect SW00556283 for tracking this.

2 of 2 people found this helpful