I've never seen this. My only guess would be corruption of the customization console entry(ies) in the database. Changing permissions on the user would not make a difference if that is the case. Can they restore their console to default?
You can quickly find a list of customized consoles with this:
select * from fpscdb001_system.console where source_console_id is not null
Find out which user it is, see if any relevant matches come up, and - with a database backup first - try deleting the row and see if that fixes the problem.
They can not restore, the save button just logs them out. Would deleting the user and importing them again fix this, or do the consoles of individuals not get removed when that happens?
Here's the response I got from support:
Now that we have identified that this issue is caused by a product defect, I want to summarize what happens next.
I have opened a defect record that describes the problem you are facing and I have linked it to your support case. For future reference the defect’s record ID is DRZNZ-4917.
Now that the defect record has been created and assigned to our R&D team, I will now close out the support case you have submitted. Please know that even though I am closing the support case, the defect record stays open, you are linked to it. The work does not stop here.
Going forward, Product Management, with the help of Development, will determine how to best address the defect as part of our future release schedule. Once the defect is fixed and the solution is delivered as part of a future release, you will be emailed as soon as it is available.
You can check for progress on the defect resolution by accessing the original (soon to be closed) support case record at https://www.bmc.com/support/support-central.html/ and clicking the link to Associated Defects. As we make progress, you can also check in on the Knowledge Base Article related to this defect. Work around details may be refined as we further investigate the issue.
Thank you again for your help in identifying this defect. If you have any questions or comments before I proceed to close the original support case, please do not hesitate in replying to this message. Again, please know that even though the support case will be closed, the defect record, and it’s link to you, will remain open until the issue is resolved.
With kind regards
That's their standard response basically confirming it's a defect with number DRZNZ-4917. Based on that number it's a defect that has not been found previously.
Any insight as to what caused this issue, or how to avoid it?
1 of 1 people found this helpful
The issue began for us following an upgrade from 12 to 20.18.02.
We also have been given a defect number, and are patiently waiting on more details.
What more details?
Restoring the Console may still help. When restoring the Console, you do not click the Save button (as clicking the save button just recreates, or updates, the custom console.
Login to FootPrints, click Customize, then click Restore (do not click Save after clicking Restore.)
Logout of FootPrints.
Log back in and you will be following the System-Configured Console.
Click Customize, make a change and attempt to Save.
Thanks Kyle. They are able to restore back to the default, but are still unable to customize the console afterwards with the same symptoms.
We ran into this after the 20.18.03 Upgrade. Be sure you understand the security ramifications of this fix before implementing.
However, we implemented a different workaround than the one noted above, simply because we have a ton of customized consoles rolling around and the noted workaround would have been a bit difficult for us to push out to 1k+ users.
If you are leveraging Consoles and Portals and since this is a Console Permissions error. We made the following adjustment
1.) Under >Administration>System>Roles>Your SYSTEM Agent Role to be fixed>System Permnissions>Expand Administration and allow Console Management > Save
2) Navigate to the poral being used and insure that the Administration Console is not checked
2 of 2 people found this helpful
FYI that BMC has fixed this defect in the most recent release as of this post. Affected users (or rather, affected users who contacted their support provider) should be notified about this shortly if they haven't been already.