1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 16, 2018 2:46 PM by Bill Robinson

How to: Redhat Patch Catalog? Help needed

Markus Kruse

Hey Guys,

I'm quiet stucked at the Task for buildung up RedHat patch Environment.

My first goal is to be able to patch Server rpms + optional rpms. For Server rpms I create an catalog with Source from Vendor and choose "by Update Level"

This gives me around 3400 RPMS in my catalog and repo Server.. My test RHEL System says it has 4004 possible rpms to update, so i think the leaving rpms are the extras/optional.

For this I created a second patch catalog but by errata type instead of update Level and child channel Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server - Extras (RPMs).

But this time it downloaded 21.000 !! rpms to my repo Server and addet them ALL into the catalog (yes....extra rpms are in there too....). An Analysis against 21.000 rpms would take hours so what am I doing wrong?

Is my core thought of Server rpms + extra rpms patching wrong or is it just that I didn't find the Options I Need (i tried various Options but didn't find a solution that fits for me)?

Additional info:

In my Repo path for first Catalog I have the mentioned 3400 rpms.... catalog has 3400, too.

In my Repo path for second catalog I have mentioned 3400 + extra rpms as it seems (so....all I want for now)..... but the catalog in BSA has 21.000 rpms. Whats wrong there?

Greetings

Markus

• 1. Re: How to: Redhat Patch Catalog? Help needed
          Bill Robinson
          My first goal is to be able to patch Server rpms + optional rpms.

by 'optional' do you mean the 'Optional' channel:

which you can only add w/ the 'by errata type' filter...

But this time it downloaded 21.000 !! rpms to my repo Server and addet them ALL into the catalog (yes....extra rpms are in there too....).

the base redhat channel includes about 20,000 rpms.  so this seems normal.

An Analysis against 21.000 rpms would take hours so what am I doing wrong?

really?  why do you think that ?  have you tried ?  i have a catalog/repo w/ 20,000 rpms and it took about 1 min:

are you including the 'rpms' smart group?  if so, don't do that.

In my Repo path for first Catalog I have the mentioned 3400 rpms.... catalog has 3400, too.

ok great.

In my Repo path for second catalog I have mentioned 3400 + extra rpms as it seems (so....all I want for now)..... but the catalog in BSA has 21.000 rpms. Whats wrong there?

nothing wrong.  'by errata' includes all the rpms released for the version of redhat (7 in this case) until now.