1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2018 1:55 AM by Markus Kruse

How to: Redhat Patch Catalog? Help needed

Markus Kruse

Hey Guys,

I'm quiet stucked at the Task for buildung up RedHat patch Environment.

My first goal is to be able to patch Server rpms + optional rpms. For Server rpms I create an catalog with Source from Vendor and choose "by Update Level"

This gives me around 3400 RPMS in my catalog and repo Server.. My test RHEL System says it has 4004 possible rpms to update, so i think the leaving rpms are the extras/optional.

For this I created a second patch catalog but by errata type instead of update Level and child channel Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server - Extras (RPMs).

But this time it downloaded 21.000 !! rpms to my repo Server and addet them ALL into the catalog (yes....extra rpms are in there too....). An Analysis against 21.000 rpms would take hours so what am I doing wrong?

Is my core thought of Server rpms + extra rpms patching wrong or is it just that I didn't find the Options I Need (i tried various Options but didn't find a solution that fits for me)?

Additional info:

In my Repo path for first Catalog I have the mentioned 3400 rpms.... catalog has 3400, too.

In my Repo path for second catalog I have mentioned 3400 + extra rpms as it seems (so....all I want for now)..... but the catalog in BSA has 21.000 rpms. Whats wrong there?

Greetings

Markus

• 1. Re: How to: Redhat Patch Catalog? Help needed
          Bill Robinson
          My first goal is to be able to patch Server rpms + optional rpms.

by 'optional' do you mean the 'Optional' channel:

which you can only add w/ the 'by errata type' filter...

But this time it downloaded 21.000 !! rpms to my repo Server and addet them ALL into the catalog (yes....extra rpms are in there too....).

the base redhat channel includes about 20,000 rpms.  so this seems normal.

An Analysis against 21.000 rpms would take hours so what am I doing wrong?

really?  why do you think that ?  have you tried ?  i have a catalog/repo w/ 20,000 rpms and it took about 1 min:

are you including the 'rpms' smart group?  if so, don't do that.

In my Repo path for first Catalog I have the mentioned 3400 rpms.... catalog has 3400, too.

ok great.

In my Repo path for second catalog I have mentioned 3400 + extra rpms as it seems (so....all I want for now)..... but the catalog in BSA has 21.000 rpms. Whats wrong there?

nothing wrong.  'by errata' includes all the rpms released for the version of redhat (7 in this case) until now.

• 2. Re: How to: Redhat Patch Catalog? Help needed
            Markus Kruse

Hello Bill,

yes by optional I mean the channels "optionals" and "extras" in "by errata type".

"really?  why do you think that ?  have you tried ?  i have a catalog/repo w/ 20,000 rpms and it took about 1 min. are you including the 'rpms' smart group?  if so, don't do that."

Maybe I don't see the right way but.... how do I create a smartgroup with only newest rpms?

I don't want every 31 Versions of for example "389-ds-base" in my smartgroup only the newest the possible but I don't see how to do this? What point am I missing here?

Thank your for your help by the way

Greetings

Markus

• 3. Re: How to: Redhat Patch Catalog? Help needed
              Bill Robinson

Maybe I don't see the right way but.... how do I create a smartgroup with only newest rpms?

why do you need to do that ?  if you don't use any include list you are doing the same thing as 'yum update' which will look at the latest rpms available in the repo/catalog.

• 4. Re: How to: Redhat Patch Catalog? Help needed
                Markus Kruse

Hello Bill,

if I want to you "update mode" it works sure. But Update-Mode says "Analayze only for updates available for installed RPMS

while "install mode" says "analyze for missing RPMS and updates available for installed rpms" for which I need to include atleast one include list.

Greetings

Markus

• 5. Re: How to: Redhat Patch Catalog? Help needed
                  Bill Robinson

ok, and are you trying to see what rpms on the target system(s) have newer versions in the catalog ? (update mode)  eg, the system has rpmA-1.1 installed and the catalog has rpmA-1.2.  you want to update 'rpmA' from 1.1 to 1.2 ?  and you want to do this for all the rpms installed on the system ?

or you are trying to install a new rpm that is not currently present on the system ? (install mode)  eg, rpmA is not installed and rpmA-1.2 is the latest version of rpmA in the catalog, and you want to install rpmA-1.2 on the system.

• 6. Re: How to: Redhat Patch Catalog? Help needed
                    Markus Kruse

I want to update those who have updates available and install missing rpms

• 7. Re: How to: Redhat Patch Catalog? Help needed
                      Bill Robinson
                      I want to update those who have updates available

then you use 'update mode'.  update mode w/ no include/excludes is the same as running 'yum update'.  update mode w/ an include/exclude is like running "yum update --exclude=rpmA" or "yum update rpmA".

and install missing rpms

so 'yum install rpmA'  ?  meaning there is no version of rpmA on the system already ?

• 8. Re: How to: Redhat Patch Catalog? Help needed
                        Markus Kruse

yes no version of rpmA installed already

• 9. Re: How to: Redhat Patch Catalog? Help needed
                          Bill Robinson

ok, in that case you use install mode and an include list.  but the include list will be relatively small because you are only installing a handful of rpms right ?  you aren't installing all the rpms that show up in the RPMs smart group in the catalog... 

that also varies from the beginning of the post "My first goal is to be able to patch Server rpms + optional rpms"  'patch server rpms' usually means updating the rpms that are already installed on the system to the latest version available in the catalog/from the vendor.

• 10. Re: How to: Redhat Patch Catalog? Help needed
                            Markus Kruse

But how to define a correct include list?

If I don't set any filters it loads all 20.000 rpms into include list. Doing analysis against this is like hell.

I only want the newest version of n rpm (if it's the only it's automatically the newest) in the include list but there is no option like "only newest" possible in any way i've found

• 11. Re: How to: Redhat Patch Catalog? Help needed
                              Bill Robinson

But how to define a correct include list?

correct how ?  if you want to install a rpm that is not currently installed, then add that rpm (not the smart group) to the include list in the job.

If I don't set any filters it loads all 20.000 rpms into include list. Doing analysis against this is like hell.

why are you adding the RPMs smart group to the include list ?  there's no reason to do that if you need to install just one or two rpms.

I only want the newest version of n rpm (if it's the only it's automatically the newest) in the include list but there is no option like "only newest" possible in any way i've found

the include options in the job should have a 'by rpm name' option in later bsa versions.  that is like running 'yum install rpmA'.

• 12. Re: How to: Redhat Patch Catalog? Help needed
                                Markus Kruse

Well for this example I have an redhat server with around 3400 RPMS to update AND 800 to INSTALL and I look for a way to do it in one job

• 13. Re: How to: Redhat Patch Catalog? Help needed
                                  Bill Robinson

two jobs.

why do you need to install 800 rpms ?  that seems like a lot of rpms to be missing from a build.

• 14. Re: How to: Redhat Patch Catalog? Help needed
                                    Markus Kruse

800 was just a number. Could be 50, too.

But it seems the problem was my missunderstanding of patching rpm's.

The thing I need seems to be update mode. If by any chance an rpm says "ok to install me you need the dependence-rpm". What does update-mode do? does it install/update dependences, too?

1 2 Previous Next