6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2018 3:44 AM by Stefan Hall

Lost in Server Group Documentation for 9104+

Stefan Hall

Hi Experts,

we had to add new servers to our server group and I've been reading documentation again for a long time. Usually one always finds inaccurate information or even errors and the more pages one reads, the more difficult it becomes. I can't get any further with the server group. I just don't know what's right anymore and therefore in conformity with the BMC system idea/design.

Surely an no brainer for you Thanks in advance.

ar.conf - Server Name

Verifying server group configuration - Documentation for BMC Remedy ITSM Deployment 9.1 - BMC Documentation

Check for an entry called Server-Name. If it exists, verify that it is set to a name that resolves to your load balancer. If it is not, modify the value to the name that resolves to your load balancer. If the entry does not exist, create it, and set it accordingly. For example, RemedyServerGroup.

In a differentiated AR server infrastructure with, say, 2 userfacing AR (ARuser1 and ARuser2), 1 AR for Administration (ARadmin), 1 for Integration (ARint) and 1 for Reporting only (ARreport), there is no load balancer to serve all of these 5 servers. Normally there is a loadbalancer for userfacing AR servers (LBuser).
      So what exactly should the extract mean and what would be the right entry for the 5 servers above?

1. ARuser1 - LBuser
      2. ARuser2 - LBuser
      3. - 4. I'm not sure (LBuser too or the short real server name, but what happens to the server group?)

ar.conf - IP Name

Bypassing the load balancer to work on a specific server - Documentation for BMC Remedy Action Request System 9.1 - BMC …

To ensure that the server recognizes references to itself as the current server while designing workflow and applications, add the IP Name setting to the configuration file. This setting indicates to the server that any of a given set of server names is recognized as the current server.

Verifying server group configuration - Documentation for BMC Remedy ITSM Deployment 9.1 - BMC Documentation

Create an IP-Name entry for every possible way a client could connect to all of the servers in the server group.

If the second extract is correct, what does the first mean?  Following the first extract, a lot more server could be recognized as the current server

What about the LB itself? Does he also get his IP names entries?

Server Ranking - Atrium Integrator

Atrium Integrator in a server group environment - Documentation for BMC Remedy ITSM Deployment 9.1 - BMC Documentation

In this release, fail-over is not supported for BMC Remedy AR System servers.

After a fresh installation I find two entries "Atrium Integrator" and "Atrium Integration Engine". I know that "Atrium Integration Engine" no longer exists in v9 and can be deleted. (BTW. why is it still entered? Is like e-mail and certainly a feature or just a keepsake from the old days). What is the function of "Atrium Integration" entry?