2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2018 5:54 AM by Radoslaw Dembinski

Event notification via email

Alvaro Paronuzzi
      Share This:

Hello everyone,

I need to send an email with event details after a defined time window if, in the meantime, a slot value hasn't changed.

Example:

I received an event with $E.msg = 'Server is CRITICAL'

As this event message may be updated, after 10 minutes I want to check if the $E.msg slot still contains 'Server is CRITICAL' and, if so, send an email.

I think a timeout rule is involved here, but how don't know how to send an email after the timeout expiration (and the related check on the $E.msg slot value)

I already tested the basic email notification using the ootb "Send EVENT as SMTP E-mail" remote action and it's working fine.

Product: TSIM 10.7 (OS: Windows)

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Alvaro Paronuzzi

• 1. Re: Event notification via email
          Alvaro Paronuzzi

Hi,

here's a first version of the rules I wrote.

From the logs I can see that the first one is executed while the second one is not. (Why? )

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Al

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Rule : SklTimeoutIncidentEv

# Description : The rule sets a timer on the CI_INCIDENT_INFO event at its arrival.

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

execute SklTimeoutIncidentEv: CI_INCIDENT_INFO ($IncidentEv)

where [$IncidentEv.status == OPEN AND $IncidentEv.msg contains 'Infrastructure Incident']

when $IncidentEv.status != CLOSED

{

#Delete existing timers on IncidentEv

delete_timers($IncidentEv,EventTimeout);

#Set timer to 1 minute

set_timer($IncidentEv,60,EventTimeout);

}

END

# Rule : SklTimeoutIncidentTimer

# Description : Sending an email about the creation of an (unexpected) infrastructure incident if after X minutes the event message still contains Infrastructure Incident

timer SklTimeoutIncidentTimer: CI_INCIDENT_INFO($IncidentEv) where [$IncidentEv.status == OPEN]

timer_info: == EventTimeout

{

if $IncidentEv.msg contains 'Infrastructure Incident' then

{

#send email

$LOC = action_locale();

execute($IncidentEv,mc_sendmail,[

'-mp','Yes',

'-ft',localize(kb,$LOC,[MAIL_To]),'<myemail>',

'-ff',localize(kb,$LOC,[MAIL_From]),'<truesightemail>',

'-fd',localize(kb,$LOC,[MAIL_Date]),$IncidentEv.date_reception,

'-fs',localize(kb,$LOC,[MAIL_Subject]),'Infrastructure Incident created',

'-fm',localize(kb,$LOC,[MAIL_Msg]),$IncidentEv.msg,

'-fr',localize(kb,$LOC,['ENUM.SEVERITY']),$IncidentEv.severity,

'-fa',localize(kb,$LOC,['ENUM.STATUS']),$IncidentEv.status,

'-fc',localize(kb,$LOC,['SLOT.CORE_EVENT.CLASS']),$IncidentEv.CLASS]

,YES,NO);

}

else

{

#don't send email

$TMPVAR = 'Email not needed';

};

}

END

• 2. Re: Event notification via email
            Radoslaw Dembinski

Hello,

I have alternative propose

I propose to create a new mrl rule in  ...\pw\server\etc\pncell_CELLNAME\kb\rules  whith name for example resend_email_critical.mrl.

########################################################################################################

#resend_email_critical.mrl in ...\pw\server\etc\pncell_CELLNAME\kb\rules

#

# For new OPEN and CRITICAL event we set timer on 10 minutes (600 seconds)

new set_timer_for_critical:

EVENT($EV) where [ $EV.status == OPEN AND $EV.severity == CRITICAL]

triggers

{

set_timer($EV,600,tm);

ntadd($EV,concat(['Set timer on seconds ',' 600']));

}

END

# After 600 seconds we set a value 'STILL_Critical' for a chosen event slot p_diary_text (it may be another unused event slot and any text)

timer resend_email_after_tm :

EVENT($EV) where [ status: equals OPEN AND $EV.msg hassubstring 'Server is CRITICAL']

timer_info : equals tm

{

ntadd($EV,"Resend email because msg still eq Server is CRITICAL");

$EV.p_diary_text = STILL_Critical; 

}

END

##########################################################################################################

Next add the name of Our new rule resend_email_critical at the bottom of .load file.

After that - in Administration Console GUI - using gui wizards - you should create Selector/s and Notification Rules for email's for appriopriate receivers, based on selector:

EVENT($EV) where [$EV.severity equals CRITICAL AND $EV.status equals OPEN AND $EV.p_diary_text contains 'STILL_Critical']

It will trigger an email based on caught text 'STILL_Critical' in $EV.p_diary_text slot.

Regards,

Rafal

1 of 1 people found this helpful