4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2018 9:41 AM by Tom Barry

Maintenace beyond an RSL level

Andy Holt
      Share:|

Hi all.  I'm wondering...  I've just installed all of my Mainview maintenance including RSL1807 (+ 1 fix for something PE'd).  Before I continue my process and create my run time libraries and begin to push out this maintenance, is there any easy to way to see what other fixes are "easily" available since the RSL?  I may want to selectively get a few more based on the context of the errors and how that might apply to our shop.   Sounds like there are no more PUT's or anything.  So is there a type of search I could specific enough to get a listing and browse through them all easily?    Thanks, Andy

• 1. Re: Maintenace beyond an RSL level
          Tom Barry

Hi Andy,

There are a couple of ways to acquire the maintenance since your last apply.  Our recommended method is to use ISR to pull all PTFs that are in VER status that are not applied to your zone(s).  This keeps you current and helps to better ensure you will not hit something that has already been fixed.  There is not a reporting tool within ISR, you simply run the request, it analyzes your zone and then we build a maintenance package for you to download based on the options you gave us.  If you would like to go with this option, please open a case with BMC Support and one of the team members will be happy to walk you through the process of getting ISR up and running.

If you would rather have a report you can pick and choose the PTFs to apply, you would need to do this through our eFix system found on Support Central (www.bmc.com/support).  Simply click the Download & Products tab and choose Mainframe Maintenance, one of the links on the page is to eFix.  You do have to be logged into access it. 

Once on eFix, you can use the Help at the top left of the screen to give you all the available commands.  To run a report what has been published since RSL1807, you will need to first create a profile with the products you have installed.  Then, on the main screen, leave environment the default, choose the profile you created, and in "Search Argument(s)" enter L1807+ and click "Search" (do not select the box "Run Pre/Co-requisites analysis above level").  PTFs in VER status mean that they have been in the field long enough to be verified by customers to fix the problem.  PTFs in CAND status have passed QA and been sent to the customers with the issue, but have not yet been verified by those customers that it fixed the problem. 

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to open a case with Support, as it is the quickest way to receive answers.

Thank you,

Tom Barry

Sr. Mgr - Technical Support

ZSolutions Customer Success

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Maintenace beyond an RSL level
            Andy Holt

Hi Tom.  Thanks for the info.  I'm in class until Wednesday and I'll give these items a shot on Thursday when I get some time.  Sounds good!  Appreciate the write up.   Andy

• 3. Re: Maintenace beyond an RSL level
              Andy Holt

Hi again Tom.  I was able to do all this as you mentioned.  Both the ISR process and the Profile/EFIX method.  Doing the ISR with the recommended level seemed to be the way to go.  I got 6 fixes that way on top of RSL1807.  The EFIX method is returning big numbers, even when I break down the FMID's to a somewhat manageable level (DB2 stuff only, all other than DB2, etc.)   Each search returns hundreds of fixes and other than skimming the subject, that's about all I can do with that many.  I think I'll just go with the 6 recommended beyond RSL1807 and call it a day.  We only get two windows a year to do maintenance and I'm trying to avoid missing something that may be important.  But, with HUNDREDS of fixes released in just a few months, it's too difficult to pick and choose.   Thanks for your help.  Andy

• 4. Re: Maintenace beyond an RSL level
                Tom Barry

Glad to hear Andy!  Yes, eFix does not analyze your zone to see what you already have applied, while ISR does.  This is one of the major benefits to ISR.  If you need any assistance during the application, do not hesitate to open a case with customer support!  Have a great weekend! 

Thank you,

Tom Barry