6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2018 1:34 PM by Yogesh Deshpande

How to handle 'not found' CIs

Yogesh Deshpande

Hi,

I have a rather process related question and want to know the best way to make it happen.

Scenario :

While creating a Change Request(CR), users relate CI(s) to the CR.

In some cases users dont find the CI that they are looking for.

I am looking for ways to handle this situation.

Option 1:

Let the users select a default CI (Say 'Unknown' or 'Unlisted').

And have a custom field to force users to type-in the actual CI there.

Analyze these manually entered CI Names weekly or monthly and merge them to application class (assuming, users are going to enter application names only).

Option 2 :

Present users an option to create a CI with a dialog box to select a CI class and type-in the CI name (and other bare-minimal required fields).

Put the CI into a separate pre-production dataset.

Run the dataset through real-time normalization & recon jobs and immediately make the CI available in the Prod Dataset.

Set the CI to the Change Request.

Looking for any other options that would best fit my scenario.

Thank you,

Yogesh

• 1. Re: How to handle 'not found' CIs
          Stefan Hall

We are using option 1 and have had good experience with it. We have informed the users and waive another mandatory field. No customizing, if not absolutely necessary! Our users write a work detail with the missing CI information.

We check it weekly, evaluate the value for the CMDB and supplement the CI if necessary.

This is also the advantage over option 2, where users without an eye for the CMDB can add elements that you may not want to have in.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to handle 'not found' CIs
            Rob Presland

You could also impose a more heavy handed approach of forcing users to submit a CI Discrepancy incident with the CI data required, and the CI could be created based on that incident, then it can be associated with the CRQ. This approach may be percieved as slowing down the CRQ creation procedure but users will quickly learn that they must ensure the CI exists before creating their CRQ.

That said, I have also seen your option 1 implemented. The downfall of that option is that for up to a month (if you're checking only monthly), your CMDB may be out of date, even if the problem (a missing CI) was identified on day 2 of the month.

Lastly, you can always implement the heavy handed approach, and if heavy resistance occurs, then implement your option 1. Point is, you don't need to lock yourself in forever with a solution. Five yourself the freedom to try something and if it doesn't work, implement something else.

Good luck.

• 3. Re: How to handle 'not found' CIs
              Ganesh Gore

If you are treating your CMDB as centralised repository then that particular CI must be available. both the suggested options will result in data inconsistency/duplicacy and at the end outdated CMDB.

In your situation, I would suggest below approach:

Create some generic business services CIs which can be used at the time of CR creation. (in absence of actual CI). additionaly users can create incident saying particular CI is not found and it will be assigned to Asset Management Team. This Incident will be attached to original CR. Asset team will create/update the CI based on information provided in incident. Once the Incident is resolved, Change Coordinator/manager will related that CI to the actual CR.

• 4. Re: How to handle 'not found' CIs
                Yogesh Deshpande

Thank you Stefan, Rob, Ganesh,

The information you provided was extremely useful!

Here is what I am planning to propose based on your recommendations.

Do let me know your thoughts.

----

1 Let the users select a generic Business Service CI (Say 'Unknown' or 'Unlisted').

2 Force users to type-in the actual CI Name in the CR WorkInfo with a unique WorkInfo Type.

Let the users continue with the CR..

3 In the backend: Use the entered WorkInfo CI information and auto generate an incident ticket and auto relate the CR to the new incident (and also auto assign the incident to the team which takes care of CMDB/CIs).

The CMDB team can work weekly/monthly & reconcile the CIs to production dataset eventually.

4 Then while resolving the incident, force the incident resolver to attach the new CI to the incident.

5 Use the originated CR details from Step#3 above & auto relate the new CI back to the originated CR (regardless of the Status of the CR at that time).

----

Thank you again!

Yogesh

• 5. Re: How to handle 'not found' CIs
                  Ganesh Gore

Looks good to me.

• 6. Re: How to handle 'not found' CIs
                    Yogesh Deshpande

Thanks Ganesh for the feedback.

I will keep posted if this makes to our production and how users find it.

Thank you,

Yogesh