2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2018 1:31 PM by Vern Meyer

Auto Assignment: Copy from CI?

Vern Meyer
      Share This:

We have a rather large team of department IT Coordinators, and we'd like to have them manage their own assignment groups outside of Business Rules so that it wouldn't take a publish for each change.

My Idea was to have a CI called "IT Coord Group". This CI would Contain a Department choice field and assignment field, just as we have them on our Service Request. We could link to this CI with the department field, and then trigger the copy of the linked CI's Assignment upon entering of an approval status.

My issue is that I can't seem to figure out how to pull the information. I feel like its a combo of "On linked item update" and a Boolean field.

I've tried making the assignment field a linked field. The after save rule ran, linked the item, but didn't seem to act like when you manually link the item and pull the linked fields over.

• 1. Re: Auto Assignment: Copy from CI?
          Greg Tucker

I assume you are using an after save business rule that links an existing record using the Department field.

If the Assignees field is linked to the link control (in the Ticket), it should be populated automatically from the identically-named field in the CI. You shouldn't need another rule that copies data from linked records.

It has been a while since I tested auto-population using Assignment type fields, but I know there have been issue with it. Either the team or the individual assignee would be dropped. Try doing some testing on it where the CI contains only an individual assignee or only a single team, and work your way out from there.

Greg

• 2. Re: Auto Assignment: Copy from CI?
            Vern Meyer

Greg Tucker wrote:

If the Assignees field is linked to the link control (in the Ticket), it should be populated automatically from the identically-named field in the CI. You shouldn't need another rule that copies data from linked records.

This was my original thought, but what about if it needed the assignees applied again?

If i can get the population upon linking in a rule to work, that will still only do it once per ticket since we cannot unlink programmatically. So if something gets sent in for approval, rule links and auto-fills the linked field. If the request requires more information, the approver rejects, rule re-assigns to submitter. If the submitter wants to re-attempt approval, they would need to unlink the CI for the linking rule to run and fill-in the assignment. If submitters understood the system that well, I wouldn't be trying to automate this haha.