1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2018 10:40 PM by Raj Hiremath

AR System Administrator to use CMDB UI???

Louis Op den Brouw

Hi there,  I was wondering why user are required to have AR System Administrator rights when they need to use the new CMDB UI. In the old version it was enough the Asset Admin to manage the CMDB, but now we need to give user too much power when they will also login to mid-tier env or Smart IT.... and with great power... (you know the phrase)  

https://docs.bmc.com/docs/ac1805/configuring-the-url-and-user-permissions-to-access-the-new-cmdb-ui-805370133.html

>>You must provide AR system administrator permissions to enable users to access the new CMDB UI.

I also tested it on the BDC environment....

ERROR : User does not have administrative privileges to login

Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: AR System Administrator to use CMDB UI???
          Mohammad Rehman

Here is the documentation link, you will need Administrator privileges to access it

Configuring the URL and user permissions to access the new CMDB UI - Documentation for BMC Atrium Core 18.05 - BMC Docum…

Myself still struggling to configure over https and no success yet.

• 2. Re: AR System Administrator to use CMDB UI???
            Louis Op den Brouw

Hi Mohammed,

that is the same link I provided

But I think (and I am not the only one) that Administrator is quite a big permission to give to a user that needs to manage recon/normalization jobs or manage/browse the cmdb...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: AR System Administrator to use CMDB UI???
              Mohammad Rehman

Hi Louis,

Sorry my bad, may be its because of past midnight here. I agree it should have been asset admin or come up new role not the administrator.

I believe you can better communicate with your management then us (customers) and you can make then understand certain new feature are not practical.

Regards

Mohammad

• 4. Re: AR System Administrator to use CMDB UI???
                Louis Op den Brouw

I've submitted an idea for this..

Non-Administrator User to use new CMDB-UI

• 5. Re: AR System Administrator to use CMDB UI???
                  Stefan Hall

When I look at the other ideas, I don't think that an idea is the right way. You need hundreds of points and years of waiting.

IMHO you should have a management escalation to make a real difference here. The current right design is a disaster and absolutely not usable.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: AR System Administrator to use CMDB UI???
                    Mohammad Rehman

Agreed 100%, I stopped creating idea, its waste of time and resources.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: AR System Administrator to use CMDB UI???
                      Carey Walker

Hi Stefan, I think disaster is a strong word, but I'd be good with 'totally unworkable'.

In our environment we have service providers managing and maintaining the core Remedy environment. There is NO way they will accept granting admin access to the range and number of people we distribute our CMDB tasks to . I'm only catching up with this whole series of discussions, so apologies if I've missed something here, but at face value, this requirement needs urgent R&D remediation .

• 8. Re: AR System Administrator to use CMDB UI???
                        Raj Hiremath

As all of you know, we are delivering the new CMDB UI - which is not in Flex but based on angular2.

As all of you know, the CMDB UI has mutiple very complex components and it will take few release cycles to deliver all the existing UI in new model.

Till now, we delivered features like - RE, NE, AI (partially) and new features which were not there previously,

like data flow diagram, data source statistics, KPIs, CI Update info and a lot of contextual information like RE, NE failures which was not available in Flex UI Previously.

Then we delivered Search features with Read Only Explorer capabilities.

These features, till now, do not have direct integrations with ITSM or Smart IT - So right now, the consumers are limited.

As we build the components for more exhaustive consumers, we will have few personas around whom the permission model would be built.

o   Config Mgr – Access to all elements of CMDB UX, able to create jobs, edit jobs, use class manager and so on full ‘structural’ access, required for Config Mgr UX access – dashboard, NOT Required for CMDB Explorer or consumption elements

o   CMDB Data Publisher – Can create CI records and edit CI records (via appropriate sandbox mechanics) - Full R/W access to all data elements but not structural or job creation/editing no access to Config Mgr UX. Can Access only Explorer, Modeler, CI Details for view and edit.

o   CMDB Consumer – Read Only access to data elements, CMDB Explorer etc.

o   CI level permissions – no changes.

So, instead of current exhaustive and complex permission model, we will be simplifying them.

Having said all these, the old Flex UI continues to behave as previously and the old permission model would work there.

I hope, this answers.

Any feedback on personas is welcome.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: AR System Administrator to use CMDB UI???
                          Chris Hughes

Brad Taylor  I think you might be interested in this topic.

• 10. Re: AR System Administrator to use CMDB UI???
                            Mohammad Rehman

We understand the vision and direction BMC heading but don't understand releasing the immature products to customer.

As a customer, we end up wasting lots of time and resources without achieving anything. I would request BMC management to listen to customer and don't throw baby products to customer until its mature and ready to make every one proud.

• 11. Re: AR System Administrator to use CMDB UI???
                              Ash Hall

Access to the resources within this new CMDB Console must be driven by the same permission model as utilised today in ITSM, otherwise this could have quite an impact for a large organisation which has hundreds of Asset Admins across multiple tenants, to onboarding processes, work instructions and training.

Mohammad Rehman in terms of the early release of this new CMDB Console, it can be very useful for customers to have insight into 'what is coming next' and that's exactly what this new design is, a 'sneak preview'. It gives BMC an early reaction from customers (positive or negative) which can help to shape the direction in which these new designs flow, so consider yourself lucky that your input is already being taken onboard.

I do absolutely agree that this isn't right allowing only 'Administrator' access to this new console, not a single organisations will grant a regular CMDB Admin with such a permission, I also believe that the reasoning/justification for this could have been communicated to customers far better by BMC, but we live and learn - onwards and upwards with these new applications and interfaces.

• 12. Re: AR System Administrator to use CMDB UI???
                                Robert Page

I fail to understand why this was even released, it is very unlikely that it will ever be used in a customer environment.  I have never met a customer who's Configuration Management team was the same people who were the Remedy Administrators.  Every customer I have worked with strongly opposes giving the "Administrator" permission to anyone who does not need it and I cannot see any argument you could make for granting this level of permissions to the team that is going to manage the CMDB.  This would be the equivalent of having to grant Domain Admin rights for a user who wants to use Notepad++ on their laptop.

What you have created is great and was desperately needed, it is such a shame that all the new things it can do, just won't be used until the permissions model is set up.

• 14. Re: AR System Administrator to use CMDB UI???
                                  Gustavo del Gerbo

Raj Hiremath is this something that will be fixed in the next release?

1 2 Previous Next