12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2019 3:21 PM by Crystal Jones

Footprints v12: Restricting Attachments

Crystal Jones
      Share:|

We have a security requirement for one specific group of users. These users are to be restricted from attaching files to tickets. We can control file attachments for tickets created via email at the mail server. However, we need to restrict users from attaching files via the Footprints UI.

Basically we need to know how we would go about preventing a specific group of users (based on location) from being able to attach documents to tickets when creating tickets within the Footprints interface. Can we do this via a business rule, or is there another way to accomplish this?

• 1. Re: Footprints v12: Restricting Attachments
          Greg Tucker

You will have to give them their own record definition, in which you present them with a form that is missing the Attachment section of the UI.

• 2. Re: Footprints v12: Restricting Attachments
            Crystal Jones

If I understand you correctly this sounds like we would have to re-create/duplicate our entire facilities service catalog and use roles/permissions to restrict who can see this "other" service catalog JUST to accommodate service requests from this one location??

It will be very disappointing if this is indeed the only option. I was hoping this could be achieved with business rules.

• 3. Re: Footprints v12: Restricting Attachments
              Greg Tucker

I wish I had a better answer for you. I don't even see a role permission to control access to Attachments.

• 4. Re: Footprints v12: Restricting Attachments
                Crystal Jones

Is it possible to make the attachments a dependent field and using the value of another custom field to hide/display it??

• 5. Re: Footprints v12: Restricting Attachments
                  Greg Tucker

No, not to my knowledge. Dependencies only operate on field, not form controls.

It looks like even the controls on the form have dynamically generated ID's, most likely making it impossible to use a custom Javascript control to hide the Add Attachment button, or the Attachments list.

• 6. Re: Footprints v12: Restricting Attachments
                    Crystal Jones

Wow that is TRULY disappointing all the way around. Looks like we will have to do a TREMENDOUS amount of work just to support what SHOULD be something we should be able to control via roles/permissions. **sigh**

Thanks for the information.. SMH..

• 7. Re: Footprints v12: Restricting Attachments
                      Nicolas Roome

Not to defend the lack of attachment controls, but what about using the customer role and customer form as an alternative instead? If these users are just submitting tickets and perhaps "working" on their own tickets, you might be able to work around it that way. Since agent and customer forms are separate.

You could also - though I've never tried this - use a custom language for these users and therefore a custom language form, and on that form not show the attachment tab.

• 8. Re: Footprints v12: Restricting Attachments
                        Crystal Jones

Greg Tucker & Nicolas Roome

Just a little background to help frame my need/intent: Our company has several locations which have a restricted "internal" network due to client IP (intellectual property) and security requirements. To allow Footprints to be visible to these restricted locations it is hosted on an internal "shared services" VLAN. However, these restricted locations have VERY STRICT rules about file attachments in emails and software systems to ensure that there is no way to "leak" or steal client IP. This is the problem we need to find a solution for.

It boggles the mind why we can use business rules or workflows to "hide" other sections on a form (like Approvals & Resolution) but we REALLY can't use business rules or ANYTHING to "hide" the attachments section?? MIND BLOWN.. still **SMH** on the logic why this is..

Creating a custom language sounds like an interesting and viable solution. Little bit of work needed to configure this, but it's not terrible.. That said based on reading through the process required to create a custom language it sounds like we'd have to pick a language that we hope we'll NEVER to use and then have users from this region (agents and customers) use that language. Did I read this correctly or am I missing a way to create a NEW language.

So regarding the suggestion to modify the customer form: Not sure this is a viable option as we really don't want agents and customers using the same form. (did I misunderstand your suggestion here??) Additionally, modifying the customer form to accommodate the attachment requirements for this one team will impact ALL customers not just the ones for this particular team.

• 9. Re: Footprints v12: Restricting Attachments
                          Nicolas Roome

To be fair, it's not that you cannot hide the attachment form section specifically. It's that you cannot hide/show any form section (or form control, such as Link Control). The FootPrints business logic only allows to show/hide fields, either via on screen rule or field dependency. The only exceptions to this are the approvals and history predefined tab sections. Approvals only shows during active approval for those approvers, and history does not show on new ticket creation.

For the language suggestion, you'd have to create a new duplicate English language. You can't use any of the OOTB languages since they'd translate the non-configurable parts of FootPrints into the relevant language.

• 10. Re: Footprints v12: Restricting Attachments
                            Crystal Jones

For the language suggestion, you'd have to create a new duplicate  English language. You can't use any of the OOTB languages since they'd  translate the non-configurable parts of FootPrints into the relevant  language.

Nicolas Roome Ahhh okay LOTS of questions then..

So it's not clear in the instructions how one would create a "duplicate" English language and NOT have that replace or overwrite the default English in the system. At the risk of appearing dense , can you help me understand this???

One last thing.. Can we enforce this language being used by specific users and PREVENT them from reverting to any other language??

BTW the instructions for creating a custom language gives one the impression that anything with out a translation will be displayed in English.. Hence my (possibly wrong) interpretation..

• 11. Re: Footprints v12: Restricting Attachments
                              Nicolas Roome

It's a bit involved to go through the exercise of creating a custom language so I'd rather just point you to BMC's (or your support provider's) knowledge base for that one.

For items you do not translate, they will be displayed in the default system language of your installation, which is basically always English in North America. So you could call your custom language something like 'English - No Attachments' and theoretically make no translations to it, but it would allow you to configure a separate form, then make sure the users in question are switched to the language for that.

Now that I think about it.. given your security needs... users are able to change their language preferences on their own.. so they'd be able to bypass this 'restriction'...

• 12. Re: Footprints v12: Restricting Attachments
                                Crystal Jones

Edited to Update

The recommendation for accomplishing this is to use a custom language for these users and therefore a custom language form, and on that form not show the attachment tab. This requires creating a new duplicate English language. We couldn't use any of the OOTB languages since they'd translate the non-configurable parts of FootPrints into the relevant language.

We successfully created a custom language and we were able to create forms which excluded the attachments. We updated all agent accounts in the restricted locations to use this new custom language. Modified previous response to include minor changes we made during the implementation of this solution.

Nicolas Roome - Thanks for the information and no I wasn't asking to go through the detailed instructions for creating a custom language.. I've already read through the instructions.. I just didn't see any place in those docs which stated you COULD give your new language a custom name.

Now that I think about it.. given your security needs... users are able  to change their language preferences on their own.. so they'd be able to  bypass this 'restriction'...

We solved this with some CSS magic.. In the application.html file we added the following to hide the entire "Languages" dropdown in "Preferences":

<!-- Begin -- Hide language options from user preferences -->
                                    <style> 
                                    .fp_user_language_combo{display:none !important;} 
                                    </style>
                                <!-- Begin -- Hide language options from user preferences -->

This will effectively hide the language drop-down from agents and customers. If customers or agents want to change their language preferences, our sys admins can manage those changes.

The downside to this entire solution is two-fold:

• Any changes made to the agent or customer forms must be replicated on two forms for each (agent and customer)
                                • We must reapply our custom CSS to the application.html file every time we upgrade Footprints.
                                • It's not fully effective as the CK Editor Tool bar cannot be modified to prevent copying images into the ticket description. Something in Footprints' code blocks any normal CK Editor customizations. This leave the possibility for someone to cut and paste images from their clipboard into the ticket description.