0 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2018 10:25 AM by Garland Smith

Question about PATROL Configuration Manager (PCM)..

Garland Smith

PCM creates a hierarchy of agents, groups, rules, and relationships.  I would like to get a topological map of the entire PCM landscape.  Clearly, PCM itself has that information as it’s needed in order to build the tree structure (Agents/Groups, and rules), linked lists, aliases, etc…  I believe that information is contained in the "ini" directory structure.  It would be great to be able to get a listing of that in order to see what’s going on in the PCM environment.  Without that, the only way I know to figure things out is to navigate through the GUI.

Use of PCM functionality is being replaced with CMA Monitoring Policies.  However, as far as I can tell, it is not possible to accomplish with CMA what can be accomplished with PCM.   A Patrol Agent can be included in a number of groups in the navigation tree, each of which can have ApplyOnNew and/or ApplyOnApply that can be applied from the top down in a cascading fashion, producing a composite configuration.  I don’t know how you would accomplish in CMA (even accounting for the use of policy precedence).  To exacerbate the problem, CMA doesn’t support MERGE and APPEND options of pconfig.  So trying to move from legacy PATROL methodology that employs PCM with pre-configured rules to CMA Monitoring Policies is not a walk in the park.  On top of that, you have to account for KMs that are CMA-compliant as well as custom KMs that are not.

I looked at the ini files but there are far too many and too many levels of hierarchy to make heads or tails of it.  The ini files seem to comprise a flat file relational database of sorts.  Is there any logging or tracing that provides details about what configurations were applied on a given run?  I’m looking for a way to figure out what configurations would be applied for a given PatrolAgent based on inclusion in the ApplyOnNew and ApplyOnApply folders in the navigation tree for Agent/Group.  Since a PATROL Agent can be included in multiple groups, the configuration applied from top down produces a composite.  I need to be able to know exactly what configurations will be applied for any PatrolAgent.  I don't see any way to find that out.