11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2018 5:05 PM by Joshua Greenberg

Steps for Upgrading/Migrating 7.5 ITSM Unix/Oracle to 9.1 ITSM Win/SQL

Joshua Greenberg

Hey All,

We're looking to upgrading Remedy ARS 7.6.0.4/ITSM 7.5 on Unix/Oracle 11g and migrating to Windows Server 2012 R2/SQL 2014 Enterprise.

Are the following steps needed to be done accurate?

1. Upgrade Oracle from 11g to 11gR2 or 12c

2. Upgrade ITSM from 7.5 to 8.1.02 (including creating granular overlays/ITSM CI Attribute change) (BMC Migrator/RRR-Chive)

3. Upgrade ITSM from 8.1.02 to 9.1.x (BMC Migrator/RRR-Chive)

4. Migrate data from Oracle to fresh installation of Windows/SQL using SQL Server Migration Assistant + any manual conversion required

How much of an undertaking would this process be?

Can steps 2 and 3 be done by installing that version of ITSM on top of the existing version on the server and then running the BMC Migrator or RRR-Chive?

Thanks!

-Josh

• 1. Re: Steps for Upgrading/Migrating 7.5 ITSM Unix/Oracle to 9.1 ITSM Win/SQL
          LJ LongWing

Josh,

Your migration plan should work, but will be long with many steps....in your unique situation I might suggest actually simply doing a cutover instead of an upgrade....create your brand new 9.1 ITSM system, clean....then make whatever customization you need and start using it on a specific date...any tickets still open in the old system get worked and closed in the old system, anything after that specified date gets created in the new system....then eventually mark the old system read-only and don't look back....you'll have a cleaner, in better shape system in the long run...

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Steps for Upgrading/Migrating 7.5 ITSM Unix/Oracle to 9.1 ITSM Win/SQL
            Joshua Greenberg

Thanks for the response LJ.

Unfortunately, I don't think your suggestion is an option. I believe we need to port over ALL previous tickets and point users to the new server once it's up and running and decommission the old server.

• 3. Re: Steps for Upgrading/Migrating 7.5 ITSM Unix/Oracle to 9.1 ITSM Win/SQL
              Mohammad Rehman

I will second LJ LongWing, you need to install latest version fresh and then apply the customization, otherwise it will take longer to upgrade one version to another if you have moderate to heavy customization it will impact your upgrade due to structure change in newer versions. Rest you know your environment and options better then us, we can only suggest based on our experience.

As far as data is concerned you can import all foundation and transnational data using BMC Migrator/RRR-Chive.

• 4. Re: Steps for Upgrading/Migrating 7.5 ITSM Unix/Oracle to 9.1 ITSM Win/SQL
                Jason Miller

I will 3rd LJ LongWing. I think it would be less effort and take less time (not always the same thing) to build a new system, configure, customize and migrate all of your data (if you need it all). At the end of the day (actually at the end of months), if you get your system successfully upgraded you will likely still have odd "demons" that you will be chasing for the rest of that system's existence.

It is such a complex system and going to 9.x you have the added challenge of AR System being rewritten in Java. Almost every upgrade leaves some fragment of something out of place/broken. You tend to compound that for each upgrade. There are things such as CAI (for just one example) that may give you headaches once on 9.1 while CAI is often (from my experience) going to work better being installed at 9.1. It is very hard to quantify what those demons and fragments are, where they come from and why they are there. In a perfect world each upgrade would be flawless but so many of us have been down this road before to know it is typically easier, more reliable and faster to build a new system.

To play devil's advocate with myself... Say your AR 7.6.04 / ITSM 7.5 system has nearly zero customization, has been very, very well maintained, the stars have always aligned during patches/upgrades and it isn't a huge system, you might be able to fairly painlessly upgrade that system. This is not true for the typical enterprise system though. I have done a similar series of upgrades (7.6.04 -> 8.0 -> 8.1 -> 9.0) before with my own sandbox VM and had pretty good results. The caveats are 1) the system was never built/configured for production usage and never had production volumes of data and 2) the system was never fully UAT tested after the final upgrade. On the surface everything seemed to work however there very likely could have been issues that by myself I would never discover.

Just curious, how many times has your current system been upgraded? So far the discussion has more or less assumed it was built at 7.6.04 / 7.5. If this was upgraded from 6.x or even 7.1 you already have some of those demons I previously mentioned. You may haven't experienced them yet but I bet you they are there.

• 5. Re: Steps for Upgrading/Migrating 7.5 ITSM Unix/Oracle to 9.1 ITSM Win/SQL
                  Joshua Greenberg

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my OP.

The thinking is to upgrade the current Unix/Oracle versions of Remedy to 9.1 and then migrate the DB to a fresh installation of 9.1 on Windows Server 2012 R2/SQL 2014. We're looking at the best pathway to get the data in the current DB to SQL, but the Windows/SQL server will be a new installation on a new physical server.

Jason Miller when you mentioned "migrate your data," is this only a portion of the Remedy DB? It seemed as though LJ LongWing and Mohammad Rehman were recommending leaving the legacy system intact and phasing it out eventually, while utilizing the Windows/SQL server as a new beginning.

I need to check tomorrow, but I believe the current instance of Remedy was an upgrade.

Edit: The current 7.5 ITSM solution was an upgrade from 5.5 ITSM.

• 6. Re: Steps for Upgrading/Migrating 7.5 ITSM Unix/Oracle to 9.1 ITSM Win/SQL
                    Ganesh Gore

How

Joshua Greenberg wrote:

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my OP.

The thinking is to upgrade the current Unix/Oracle versions of Remedy to 9.1 and then migrate the DB to a fresh installation of 9.1 on Windows Server 2012 R2/SQL 2014. We're looking at the best pathway to get the data in the current DB to SQL, but the Windows/SQL server will be a new installation on a new physical server.

and how are you planning to do migration from oracle to MS SQL Database?

As suggested earlier, I would also recommend to Install fresh instance of latest ITSM server with whatever OS+DB combination you want (provided its compatible with BMC compatibility matrix) and then extract foundation+process+transactional data (tickets) from older system and import it to newer system using UDM (or whatever similar technology). You need to take care of next ids of important forms before golive of newer system.

second part will be the customization: List out all the existing customizations in older system and check if those functionalities are available as OOTB feature in newer system (gap analysis). If that is the case then you need not to migrate these customizations.

third one and most interesting will be setup of all existing integrations with newer server. (AD, Webservices, AI jobs, CMDB jobs etc etc).

With this approach you will get chance to review your system again and you can skip unwanted data, customizations and integrations. It is very important when system stability/performance comes into the picture.

• 7. Re: Steps for Upgrading/Migrating 7.5 ITSM Unix/Oracle to 9.1 ITSM Win/SQL
                      Joshua Greenberg

My research showed SQL Sever Migration Assistant or RRR-Chive could do the migration from Oracle to MSSQL.

• 8. Re: Steps for Upgrading/Migrating 7.5 ITSM Unix/Oracle to 9.1 ITSM Win/SQL
                        Ganesh Gore

In that case BMC DDM also can be used:

Migrating delta data - Documentation for BMC Remedy ITSM Deployment 9.1 - BMC Documentation

I never used it but it may take several days to complete the migration activity based on data size.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Steps for Upgrading/Migrating 7.5 ITSM Unix/Oracle to 9.1 ITSM Win/SQL
                          Joshua Greenberg

Ganesh Gore Thank you for that reply, it cleared up some confusion I had.

Seems everyone is in agreement the best procedure is...

1. Build Windows Server 2012 R2/SQL 2014 server

2. Build customization needed in our forms if not available OOTB

3. Migrate ITSM 7.5 Oracle foundation+process+transactional data (tickets) to ITSM 9.1 SQL 2014 with SQL Server Migration Assistant/RRR-Chive/BMC DDM

4. Since data transfer could take awhile, utilize Change Data Capture Service to log and capture data changes to Oracle tables while migration is occurring. Data changes then applied to new SQL instance

• 10. Re: Steps for Upgrading/Migrating 7.5 ITSM Unix/Oracle to 9.1 ITSM Win/SQL
                            Mohammad Rehman

You got that right!!!! Now you are the MAN to execute it

• 11. Re: Steps for Upgrading/Migrating 7.5 ITSM Unix/Oracle to 9.1 ITSM Win/SQL
                              Joshua Greenberg

Thanks for everyone's help.

I'm also going to contact Alderstone CMT to see if their tool would be possible to use in our situation as it sounds like the form customization might be a hell of a task.

Has anyone used their tool in the past? Is it self-sufficient and is the price cost-effective?