4 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2018 11:14 AM by Frank Patch

Products Normalizing, but Market Version for some

Frank Patch

Hi,

We are building our Product Catalog and Normalizing Products in Remedy ITSM 9.1.04. We are getting an unusual result where almost all the specific instances of a Product Normalize correctly, but a few are missing the Market Version.

This only happens occasionally, but the aspects of the Product Catalog, Aliases, etc. are identical for the instance with the Market version and the instance without. Any ideas why?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Products Normalizing, but Market Version for some
          Stefan Hall

without a closer look, it's very hard to tell.

Please show me the complete screen (bmc_product) of a working and a faulty entry. Can you also show us the "version rollup" rule?

You set the market version using the "version rollup" feature of normalization, right? Or is the market version already transmitted by ADDM?

We have this effect more often with ADDM, as a rule it is due to missing rights on the target systems.

• 2. Re: Products Normalizing, but Market Version for some
            Frank Patch

Stefan,

First, we have set the Product Catalog to override the Version Rollup and disabled all the Version Rollup entries (just to make sure). Why, because the products listed, product names and manufacture names in the Version Rollup are outdated, in some cases, and not consistent with the data discovered by SCCM or ADDM for the software products in our environment.

We manually set the Market Version in the Product Catalog entries to what works the best for us. We use NE:Aliases for Manufacturer and Model names and Product Catalog Aliases for the Tiers 1, 2, 3. We began this process for SWLM with ver. 7.6, pre Market Version. Which worked successfully. I left the organization 18 months ago and have been called back because the Product Catalog, etc. has fallen into some disarray in that time.

ADDM is not setting the Market Version this case. I have attached a screen shot of the 7-Zip Product Catalog Model/Version tab, though other products also have a few failures, as well. This not affecting an entire software title or version, only a few random cases where the majority of the identical items work correctly.

Thanks for your help.

PS: 7-Zip is not managed by a Software Contract which is why Managed is set to No. However, we have the same problem with Managed software as is discussed here.

• 3. Re: Products Normalizing, but Market Version for some
              Stefan Hall

Now I'm a little confused

1. yes, all ootb Version Rollup rules are outdated and not useable in real. BTW, they're not so well modeled either. They are therefore only suitable as a rough example. You have to build your own rules here.
              2. 7-zip is a client software, but your first screenshot shows 7-zip CIs in the BMC.ADDM dataset? Do you scan the clients with ADDM or does this information come from SCCM?
              3. "We manually set the Market Version in the Product Catalog" ?!
                You really mean here the product catalog entry from your last screenshot. right? I ask because I am completely unaware that the market version from the product catalog is transferred to the respective CIs and you have deactivated the version rollup.

The question remains: Where does the marketverion "9.2" come from?

The way I see it so far, I'd take a closer look at the sources. What does this data look like in the SourceDatasets without normalization? I suspect the same.

Good luck

Stefan

• 4. Re: Products Normalizing, but Market Version for some
                Frank Patch

Stefan,

Here is some background info that will help.

1. We are using Discovery (ADDM) to scan desktops. Tideway supplied a pattern that allowed ADDM "packages" to be imported into the CMDB as Products and related to the Computer System on which they were installed. This was a long time ago (circa 2008) and wasn't recommended because the large number or "garbage" CIs it would bring (e.g. all the flavors of .NET). However, we had to transition from the original BMC created ADDM, which had that functionality, to the Tideway created version. So we have used it. It still works today in the current version of Discovery with a slight modification. We are a ROD customer and BMC support has had difficulty getting the SCCM adapter to work on the ROD Linux servers. We plan to use the SCCM adapter once the issues are resolved.

2. As for setting the Market Version in the Product Catalog per the Asset Management documentation:

BMC Asset Management refers to the Market Version of a product entry to determine whether that Product Catalog entry must have a related software license contract. This feature helps maintain certificates because instead of relating each minor version to the certificate, you can relate only the Market Version of the product to the certificate.

To normalize the MarketVersion attribute for CIs, you can manually specify the Market Version for a product entry in the Product Catalog or use Version Rollup rules in the Normalization Engine.

3. All the screen shots are from the ADDM dataset which is the one we normalize.

Thank you for your continued response. This a problem that only occurs rarely to Products where the majority Normalize correctly for identical items. This is important because License Certificates now only use the Market Version when referencing License Jobs to determine the installed count.