6 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2018 5:32 AM by Rahul Singhai

Jetty: What features use it?

Thad Esser

I'm new to ARS 9.1.04 and jetty, and was curious what features make use of the jetty server?  I'm aware of the REST API and the new CMDB Admin console:

Are there others?  I looked through the jetty config files, and couldn't find where the contexts are defined (not even sure if "contexts" is the right terminology).

Thanks,

Thad

• 1. Re: Jetty: What features use it?
          Rahul Singhai

Hi Thad,

I'll be happy to help you. As you rightly mentioned REST APIs and CMDB Admin Console are deployed on Jetty. There is no other application deployed on Jetty.

I'm curious, is there any specific use case, scenario you need this information for, or if you are encountering any issue in Jetty? Probably that will help us to provide you elaborate information and help you out.

Thanks, Rahul

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Jetty: What features use it?
            Ganesh Gore

Jetty is webserver for REST APIs, nothing else.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Jetty: What features use it?
              Eric Wuensche

Hi,

I would also like to know the web applications deployed with 9.1.04 - not only the applications but also the different web servers.

It is actually a real nightmare as an administrator to keep track of all the different app servers and configurations that are being used - especially in terms of securing or disabling those applications.

SmartReporting, SmartIT / DWP, MidTier, RSSO, CMDB Admin Console, AR REST API, CMDB REST API all are mostly only available via the installer and different application servers are installed at different locations.

This makes it almost impossible to get those applications deployed in a standardized and automated way in an environment where you don't have direct root access to servers - additionally it is hard to migrate between systems, if there is no centralized configuration possible for the applications, but an installer needs to be run, which manipulates many configuration files.

Is there a possibility to get all these applications harmonized and deployable as a standard WAR file (MidTier is a good example)?

Or am I missing that there are already such methods available?

In regard to the CMDB Admin Console, I also don't understand why the 3-tier architecture gets mixed up now and is not differentiated between frontend/backend.

Is there a possibility to integrate the CMDB Admin Console with RSSO?

Thanks, Eric

• 4. Re: Jetty: What features use it?
                Stefan Hall

Me too,

I had already asked these questions and had not yet received an answer. Just take a look in Everything that you need to know about accessing new CMDB UI, maybe someone from BMC will answer. I took the chance to remind Stephen Earl.

You could also vote for the idea of Henrik Hauchwitz, the embedded Tomcats are the problem: install with an external Tomcat instance

• 5. Re: Jetty: What features use it?
                  Thad Esser

Mostly, it was curiosity, but I was weighing the pros and cons of two different options with respect to networking for the jetty server.  Currently, we have our mid-tier servers and AR servers behind load-balanced names, such as "midtierLB" and "arsLB" (not the real names).  The two options I was considering:

• First Option:  Set up a new load-balanced name, something like "ars_API_LB", which would listen on port 80/443, and redirect the traffic to port 8008 on one of the AR Servers.  This would give customers a specific name to use for building integrations, without having to specify a port.  It would also allow us to change the jetty port without having to update any integrations.  The downside would be that the CMDB Admin console would be accessed through a URL that has "API" in the name, which could be confusing.  Although, that'd be a small user base - unless there were other contexts that were needed by a larger user base.
                  • Second Option:  Have the customer use the mid-tier load balanced name for integrations, which they are already familiar with.  Configure the network so that mid-tier traffic with the relevant contexts (such as "midtierLB/api/" and "midtierLB/cmdb/") redirect to port 8008 on one of the AR servers.  This option takes away the need to set up a new load balanced name and keeps the customer using what they are familiar with.  The downside, and what prompted my question, is that we'd have to be aware of all possible contexts and set them up prior to using them.

I think the first option probably will be the easiest to maintain, so my question was more out of curiosity than anything.  I had recently found out about a kettle status page that I didn't know about, so I was prodding for other little gems with regard to jetty.  :-)

Thanks,

Thad

• 6. Re: Jetty: What features use it?
                    Rahul Singhai

As stated by Stefan Hall there is a discussion on deployment of Jetty and other web servers. You may like to follow that for further queries and clarifications.

Nevertheless let me provide you a quick info on few things.

In regard to the CMDB Admin Console, I also don't understand why the 3-tier architecture gets mixed up now and is not differentiated between frontend/backend.

A > There is a clear segregation between frontend/backend in CMDB Admin Console architecture. Although both are not sitting on different web server like it appears to be in case of Mid-tier. I am assuming you are perceiving Mid-tier as a front-end layer in 3-tier architecture. You are almost correct though, however we may not like to consider Mid-tier as pure front-end as it indeed has its own back-end (servlets, listeners, session management, authentication etc.) sitting on same web server, and it is communicating with AR server through RPC APIs.

Is there a possibility to integrate the CMDB Admin Console with RSSO?

A > Yes. RSSO can be well integrated with Jetty; starting from 91SP4 and therefore CMDB Admin Console be accessed with RSSO authentication route as well.

Regards, Rahul