2 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2018 11:31 PM by Amol Shah

9.1.03/04 MidTier Clustering with external Tomcat 8.5 doesn't work as described and expected

Stefan Hall
      Share This:

Hi,

I've probably read everything in the last few days and tried even more, but it won't work. I need your experience.

First, my expectations of the Tomcat Cluster

1. session failover when a Tomcat dies (simulated via kill -9)
      2. session failover when I close a Tomcat (via shutdown.sh or simulated via kill)

Point 1 works, but point 2 does not work despite <Manager className="org.apache.catalina.ha.session.DeltaManager" expireSessionsOnShutdown="false" ...>

But first things first:

Possible documentation error?

When I use at the BMC documentation for tomcat clustering, it never works . I need to move the manager tag to the context tag of the arsys.xml file. Then it works. Is that the same for you?

BMC Documenation => Copy the <Cluster> tag information from the attached file and paste it after the <Engine> tag in your server.xml file.

Expectation 1 works and 2 never works - why?

(1) If I kill the Tomcat process (point 1), the users can continue working with the same session at an other tomcat after a short wait, as soon as the loadbalancer notices the failure and reacts.

(2) When I finish the Tomcat process clean (point 2), the users get an error message (session expired and/or authentication failed) from other tomcat.

It seems as if all active sessions of the Tomcat are expired during the shutdown process - in the whole cluster. This contradicts in my opinion the parameter expireSessionsOnShutdown="false" and its explanation. I can also set the parameter to true or omit it completely, no change.

Hope here are some tomcat fans on the way . Maybe you Amol Shah?

Stefan