4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2018 1:31 PM by Joshua Fredrickson

How to deploy Office 365

Mike Vogts
      Share:|

Relatively new to Client Management (within the past 6 months), still trying to figure out the ins and outs, so apologies as this is likely to be a simple one. We are going to be rolling out Office 365 sometime in the near future, with existing locally installed Office copies. I was beginning the process of figuring out how to get this done, but I'm running into issues figuring out how to get CM to just kick off the O365 install on a client properly.

I have downloaded the Microsoft O365 deployment tool, used it to download the necessary files to a server share, and setup a config.xml file with my needed settings. This share is fully accessible from my CM server and by the CM service account, I have confirmed. I can run the setup.exe /configure \\share\config.xml command manually on test computers, and O365 installs properly.

However I'm trying to figure out the best way to execute this command via BCM, and am having trouble. If I create an op rule to Execute Program, the install doesn't start. I've also tried creating a BAT file that executes the command, then calling the BAT file from an op rule, but the rule just seems to execute "successfully" without actually starting the install.

I've also tried setting up the BAT file as a package, and copying it locally, to be run there, but no dice either. Same for creating a package containing the setup.exe and config.xml, copied locally and executed.

Just looking for a little guidance as to the proper way to handle this. The one thing I haven't tried is adding all the downloaded Office files to a package and running it locally, but this seems to defeat the purpose of having the install setup on a server share. I'd rather not do this if at all possible, and it seems like I'm just missing something obvious that should allow this to work from the share.

• 1. Re: How to deploy Office 365
          Dominik Kress

Hi Mike,

The BCM Agent runs as SYSTEM account. So you need to grant access on the share for the SYSTEM account.

Of course if you create a full package it will work. Benefit is that you are able to use transfer windows to avoid to much network traffic. If you run the Office setup from an UNC path you can't control the network load - at least not with BCM since the agent just runs the command. Also if you create a software package you could send it to any device wherever it is located. This could be done by an Relay in the DMZ. So depending on your plans / usage of BCM it may makes sense to only use "Execute program" and run all software installation from UNC shares or to create packages.

• 2. Re: How to deploy Office 365
            Mike Vogts

Thanks for your suggestion. I ended up copying the full package locally to computers as you suggested, and utilized the advice located here:

BCM - How to create a Custom Package

Specifically, setting the package to only copy to the workstation, then using an Op Rule to execute the setup.exe /configure command. This seems to have worked a lot better for me than trying to execute the command via the package Run Command.

• 3. Re: How to deploy Office 365
              Matt Hartley

Another option is to create the click to run package - which is tiny - and the install goes out to Microsoft to bring all the files down.

• 4. Re: How to deploy Office 365
                Joshua Fredrickson

I haven't done this specific deployment yet but I have deployed enough software and older versions of Microsoft Office that I would use the following steps:

1) Use the Office Customization Tool by running setup.exe /admin and create an MST file with your license and all the settings you want.  Put this file in updates folder in the office installation folder.

2) Create a Custom Package

• Destination folder should be something like <local folder path>\MicrosoftOffice365
                • Run command should be <local folder path>\MicrosoftOffice365\Setup.exe

3) Cleanup the office installation folders by using a Delete Folder Op Rule

4) Update Software Inventory op rule step

5) Use Advanced Reboot prompt to give user automatically restart in 5 minutes with a user prompt so user can save files if they need

Good luck, and it sounds like you are on the way to a successful deployment.