4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2018 1:16 AM by EDOARDO SPELTA

sim2cmdb to move service models from BPPM to Atrium

EDOARDO SPELTA
      Share This:

Hello,

does anybody tried this utility to move service model data from BPPM to Atrium ?

As far as i could see it is taking CIs and impact relationships (BMC_impact) from BPPM and creating them in Atrium.

However the resulting relationships are of type AllRelated (which to my understanding is the BMC_BaseRelationship).

Now, when navigating in Atrium Asset Manager, i can see Business Services or other logical entities like Applications being "child" and computer systems being "parent"

However the impacts are set in the proper way, according to how they were set in BPPM.

So the impacts are actually working and being represented with arrows with the right directions (even impact simulator works fine) but the CIs seem to be identified as parent and child in a weird way.

Infact, even when viewing a service model in impact model designer, to see it entirely, i have to select the business service and choose "expand parents" to see the rest of the service tree while i would have expected to use "expand children".

What is the direction of the allrelated relationships ? Is the sim2cmdb converting impact sources as parents and impact destinations as children ?

• 1. Re: sim2cmdb to move service models from BPPM to Atrium
          Betty Neumann

Hi Edoardo, I do see a somewhat similar case which is currently open for another customer

The successfully moved their service models defined in BPPM 9.6 on Atrium 9.1 through sim2cmdb utility. When viewing the service models in Impact Model Designer we can see CIs and relationships as they were built in BPPM which means with computer systems at the bottom, applications in the middle and business services at the top and impacts propagation from bottom to top. However when looking in Atrium Asset Management console, they can see that business services are considered child of applications which are considered parents. This leads to a sort  of reversed service model which might cause confusion to users. Are these relationships right?

So it appears there are some questions about the relationships as they are setup in the Asset Management console. So for your case, I would recommend a case with Support for further assistance.

Thanks

Betty Neumann

BMC Support

• 2. Re: sim2cmdb to move service models from BPPM to Atrium
            EDOARDO SPELTA

Hello,

i think you're referencing the case i opened last week.

Edoardo

• 3. Re: sim2cmdb to move service models from BPPM to Atrium
              Betty Neumann

Hi Edoardo,

I guess it could be your case, it wasn't opened in your name so I was not sure. So it looks like you have an open case and the team will assist you. Please do report back here the outcome of the case so the Community will share in what has been learned.

Thanks

Betty

• 4. Re: sim2cmdb to move service models from BPPM to Atrium
                EDOARDO SPELTA

Hello,

the case with BMC support is being closed as it is working as designed: impact between CIs goes in one direction according to how the service model was built in BPPM but relationships show the other way around in Atrium. They agreed it's confusing but this is it.

By the way: this is not only a "weird" graphical representation, it means that business services are children of many applications (which are in turn parents) and applications are children of many computer system (which are in turn parents).

Its like having a CPU CI impacting a computer system and ending up with the cpu being parent of a computer system child.

This doesn't make any sense from my point of view and affects data model designing in Atrium.

I've seen posts around about this but i don't really understand if my scenario involving services coming from BPPM through sim2cmdb are a different scenario from those who only work on Atrium.