3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2018 12:48 PM by Anne Brock

Optimal configuration of 450 three tier OpCats into 8 hr SLAs

Edison Pioneer

Hi fellas,

A client of mine gave me a requirement which I had a hard time understanding.

To begin with,

1) He told me that he had some 449 ~ 450 OpCats.

2) He wants to configure SLA of 8 hours.

3) He wanted to have three level of categorization for those OpCats - OpCat 1, OpCat 2 & OpCat 3.

4) OpCat 1, OpCat 2 & OpCat 3 would be configured into one SLA, the highest SLA would be 8 clock hours.

So, his question was - what would be the optimal configuration in which he could bundle all these OpCats into SLAs?

I spoke with a colleague of mine and he said we could use operators like OpCat 1 OR OpCat 2 OR OpCat 3 = X SLA. Also, OpCat 1 AND OpCat 2 AND OpCat 3 = X SLA. But I would like more elaboration.

As always, turning to community for all the help I can get.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, folks

• 1. Re: Optimal configuration of 450 three tier OpCats into 8 hr SLAs
          Anne Brock

I agree the requirement is a little hard to understand.

Does he want to have 8 hour SLA, regardless of what the OpCat is? then just write the SLA, ignore the OpCats.

If instead he wants different SLAs based on OpCat - this could be a maintenance nightmare with that many OpCats. But let's say some OpCats have 8 hours, some have 6, some have 4. I might put a "code" in the OpCats - Let's say *** for 8 hours, !!! for 6 hour, ### for 4 hour. Then I would write the SLA such that "if OpCat1 contains *** or Opcat2 Contains *** or OpCat 3 contains *** " then trigger the 8 hour SLA.

But I think you need to have another requirements discussion.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Optimal configuration of 450 three tier OpCats into 8 hr SLAs
            Edison Pioneer

Hi Anne,

Thanks for showing interest.

You got it right when you said - " he wants different SLAs based on OpCat".

Just to be clear, he said the maximal SLA can be of 8 hours, and didn't specify the minimum. So, I think we can assume 0 can be the minimal SLA.

Would you kindly elaborate more on the explanation you gave above?

Would you elaborate more on "I might put a "code" in the OpCats"? How does one put a code in OpCats? I'm confused there.

Please also mention the forms on which I would need to perform these operations.

Thanks again for the pointers

• 3. Re: Optimal configuration of 450 three tier OpCats into 8 hr SLAs
              Anne Brock

If you haven't worked with Service Level Management before you'll want to read the documentation:

https://docs.bmc.com/docs/slm91/using-the-slm-console-609065838.html

(I am assuming your customer has the out of the box application)

When you build a service target, you say what it applies to. For example "OpCat1 = Failure". So that's not bad.

But if he wants a target to apply to 50 OpCat1s, and his oOpCats are

a

b

c

d

you're writing something like "If opcat1=a or opcat1=b or opcat1=c or opcat1=d"... and so on. That gets cumbersome very fast.

If he wants a target to apply to 50 OpCat1s, then it's easier if he does the data like this:

a***

b***

c***

d***

Then your if statement is something like "If opcat1 contains ***" which is much easier.

I recommend you get a matrix from him of which op cats  have which SLA targets; Developing that matrix may actually get him to start seeing he needs to rethink this....

1 of 1 people found this helpful