Do you have a full stack trace in the appserver log when this happens that you can share ?
Hi Bill. I have attached a zip of the logs from a couple of our job app servers and the debug log of the rscd agent on the target server.
*Edit: Removed log files
can you attach one of the daalregistry.xml files that causes the error ?
Yes. Please see attached. I have done a diff between a broken server and a working server and the files show identical. That's about as far as I took it as I'm not sure of the daal purpose. I did look for duplicate entries (because that was mentioned in a different communities post) and did not see any.
One other thing to note is that all the servers I've come across so far with this issue have been Windows Server 2012 (R2 and Non-R2), though I'm still very early in working through this list so that may be coincidence.
I believe I have figured it out. It seems that an Upgrade install does not update xerces-c_3_1.dll. Copying this DLL from a working server to the broken server(s) fixed this issue and the Update Server Properties job worked again as well as manually running daalinfo.exe on the host.
I did a md5sum on all the files between a fresh install of the RSCD agent and an Upgrade install and it seems the two DLLs aren't being updated when you do an Upgrade:
Not sure what blpthreadVC2.dll and pcre3.dll do, but the culprit was the outdated xerces library.