1 of 1 people found this helpful
Depending on your reason to upgrade to version 12, it's not as simple as that. While I have no real knowledge on v9 or v10, what BMC says seems to be correct that you should be able to jump from v9 to v11 and then to v11.6.01 (or maybe you can get there straight from v9).
But where the real question is.. is how do you want to migrate (or transition) to v12? It is not an upgrade. It's not as simple as downloading the v12 installer, clicking next a few times, and waiting for the magic to happen.
You basically have two major options available to you:
1) You use the BMC recommended route, which is to upgrade from v9 to at least v11.6.01, and then use the BMC AMIGO tools to migrate your configuration and data from v11 to v12.
2) You start with a fresh install of v12. Optionally you can transfer data if desired.
There are obviously pros and cons to each method, and the second option is further split into a variety of different options such as building from scratch or using a pre-built environment such as the BMC IT Service Management business process, or going with something more evolved, such as our ITSM Database (https://rjrinnovations.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Footprints-Service-Core-ITSM-Database.pdf )
My personal recommendation is to use option 2 for a few reasons:
- Version 12 is basically a new product with new functionality and new designs. The AMIGO tools don't fully take this into account.
- This is the perfect opportunity to review and mature your processes. Lets face it, prior to version 12, FootPrints wasn't all that ITSM/ITIL friendly.
- The AMIGO tools wont do everything for you. CMDB, Service Catalog, Knowledge, SLAs, views (searches, consoles, portals) are all things you have to build manually. So it's still going to take you at the absolute least, several days of manual work to do, and more likely, several weeks.
Over the years there have been no shortages of discussions on the topics. I've tried to maintain a list of those and I'm pasting them here for you. I strongly recommend you review each one. I'd also strongly recommend you read my posts in those carefully, but I don't want to sound too biased!
I am trying to find a document that shows the features of 11.6.04 versus newer versions of Footprints Service Core?
Has anyone upgraded Footprints from Version 11.5 to Version 12 and had a good experience?
Is V12 Really a free upgrade?
Which is better: Upgrade to or Clean Install of FPSC v12
What do you like most about FP12? What do you like least? Did you upgrade from a previous version? What was your experience?
Round Robin Assignment in FP12.1.01.001
Footprints v11 vs v12
Upgrade to v12 or Create CMDB: Which first?
Upgrade from FPSC 11.6 to 12.1
Migration path from FP 10.0.2 to v12
Ticket relationships not migrated to FP12
Here is more information information on the AMIGO route:
- Overview of v11 to v12 migration using AMIGO: https://docs.bmc.com/docs/display/public/FPSC121/Migrating+from+FootPrints+version+11.x+to+version+12.x
- v11 features not available in v12, or not migrated by AMIGO: https://docs.bmc.com/docs/display/public/FPSC121/Components+that+are+not+implemented+or+migrated
- v11 features available in v12 and migrated by AMIGO: https://docs.bmc.com/docs/display/public/FPSC121/Components+that+are+migrated
- Performing the AMIGO migration: https://docs.bmc.com/docs/display/public/FPSC121/Performing+the+migration?draft=true
- Using the AMIGO tools: https://docs.bmc.com/docs/display/public/FPSC121/Using+the+FootPrints+12+migration+tools
Lastly... and I cannot stress this enough... I strongly recommend that you work with a BMC partner such as ourselves to facilitate this transition for you. The experience and expertise brought to the table by FootPrints consultants is significant and there is nothing worst in the ITSM world (whether that is FootPrints, SDE, Remedy, ServiceNow, etc etc) than a poorly designed system based on poorly developed processes.
Hope that helps, feel free to ask any questions here, or if you want more information about what professional services can be delivered by consultants, or what the differences are between FootPrints v12 out of the box and things like our ITSM database offering, feel free to reach out to me.
Good luck on your transition
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!
1 of 1 people found this helpful
No problems Chris. One last thing, I had mentioned about our ITSM Database offering. If you're looking for something pre-built and basically ready to go out of the box, there's some more info about it here (Re: FootPrints Service Core 12 ITSM Database now available! ) but I can provide a demo and comparison any time.
As well, other topics that might be of interest:
Import issues? You can do it manually! (more an intro to some of the v12 database architecture)