1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 23, 2018 11:02 AM by Alvaro Paronuzzi

BPPM9.6 and BSR35 - Incident consolidation

EDOARDO SPELTA
      Share This:

Does anybody know what this option should be actually doing ?

From the docs (Consolidating incidents - BMC Service Resolution 3.5 - BMC Documentation ) it seems that this option should somehow merge one causal incident and one infrastructure incident in one causal incident, thus reducing the overall number of tickets generated, which would be good as in my opinion this integration is increasing the load on Remedy by spamming too many unnecessary tickets (who needs to manage two tickets, one causal and one infrastructure, both for the same CI ??) and also on BPPM creating too many events (one information for every incident, one for CI status change (unrelated to any incident, so what's the point of having it ?) and several other unintelligible events like "orphaned root cause for component" or "responce object is null"

What i don't understand is also the condition under which this option would work which, according to the docs, is: "When a Level 3 policy and Event Propagation policy enabled"

Now, what if i don't have any event propagation policy ? That is used if you want to trigger infrastructure incidents based on event slots, why would i want to set that if i already have a service policy in place ??

My case is that i have only a service policy set to trigger upon impact on Business Service makes it unavailable with "causal component - optimized" option and consolidation enabled at Remedy side. However when an alarm comes, impacts a CI, propagates to the business service i'm still getting two incidents: one causal and one infrastructure. No consolidation seems to happen.

Does anybody have any experience on this ?

• 1. Re: BPPM9.6 and BSR35 - Incident consolidation
          Alvaro Paronuzzi

Buonasera Edoardo,

the Intelligent Incident policy has two Incident Creation Criteria:

• Impacted and Causal Component-Optimized
          • Causal Component-Optimized

If Incident Consolidation and Event Consolidation are not enabled you will get:

Impacted and Causal Component-Optimized:

1 Impacted Incident for the impacted ci ("service ci") + 1 Causal Incident for the causal ci ("infrastructure ci") + 1 Infrastructure Incident for the causal event impacing the CI

Causal Component-Optimized:

1 Causal Incident for the causal ci ("infrastructure ci") + 1 Infrastructure Incident for the causal event

If Incident Consolidation and Event Consolidation are enabled you will get:

Impacted and Causal Component-Optimized:

1 Impacted Incident for the impacted ci ("service ci") + 1 Causal Incident for the causal ci ("infrastructure ci"). The second one will contain also the details of the causal event

Causal Component-Optimized:

1 Causal Incident for the causal ci ("infrastructure ci"). This incident will contain also the details of the causal event

As per my understanding, the creation of an Infrastructure Incident requires an event propagation policy because it is managed in the BEM case, while the other ones are managed by the intelligent incident policy.

Regards,

Alvaro Paronuzzi