6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2018 1:00 AM by Jameer Inamdar

Benefits of DSO for replication over DB replication

Vikram Tandan

Hello

Can anybody please help me understand the benefits( if any) of using DSO for data replication over a geographically distributed environment. The database is SQL server 2012 enterprise edition.

Currently there is p2p replication in place at DB level and there are a lot of replication delays. the volume of data at both the systems is 25k+.

My basic understanding is that DSO will transfer the data at application level. In the other system, INSERT query will be fired to create a record. so how will DSO(if) be better than peer to peer replication at database level.

• 1. Re: Benefits of DSO for replication over DB replication
          Sidhdesh Punaskar

From my point of view, the major reason would be to store the same data at multiple locations to secure data/database.

Just image, you have only one DB at one particular location and something goes wrong where your DB/location is destroyed. Natural calamities never come by knocking your door. So you never know your DB at particular physical location is secure.

• 2. Re: Benefits of DSO for replication over DB replication
            Mark Walters

The way I think about it is that db replication and DSO serve two different purposes.   If your requirement is to have a complete copy of your system, a disaster recovery failover site for example, then you want to replicate at the database level.  This ensures you have a full copy of all of your data.

If your requirement is to make a subset of data available in multiple systems then look to DSO,  The power of this feature is that you can be selective about the data you replicate, you have the power and flexibility of Remedy workflow to help you manage this.  Also, the receiving system does not have to be a copy of the source, DSO decouples the data from db structure and allows you to copy it for any purpose.

• 3. Re: Benefits of DSO for replication over DB replication
              Vikram Tandan

Thanks for your input. I will try to rephrase the question. So both the environments are live and are being used by different team. each environment acts as a HOT DR for the other. The current DB replication is not enabled for all the tables but for selected few tables (25 max). Only the transactional data is replicated at real time.

So my question is, will it improve any performance if we stop the DB level replication of these 25 forms and enable DSO for the same. so the new ticket coming in at 1 environment will be sent as an independent copy to the other system and vice versa. data will be in sync.

• 4. Re: Benefits of DSO for replication over DB replication
                Jameer Inamdar

Hi Vikram,

DSO will help you to minimize the delay as well as you can select the designated server to handle DSO actions to minimize the performance issue but its totally depends on modification load. and as per your requirement I fill  DSO will not help you cause if you use independent copy then request will start new chain then update will not come back to source and if you select Data + ownership then only server who currently own the ownership  will allow changes in request and as you mentioned data require to be in sync so create as well as update require to be in sync rt?

follow below link to understand the transfer mode,

Distributed transfers - BMC Remedy Action Request System 8.1 - BMC Documentation

HTH

• 5. Re: Benefits of DSO for replication over DB replication
                  Vikram Tandan

Hi Jameer, Yes we want the data to be in Sync and i am planning to use independent copy. So for example if we take Two environments, East and West

Tickets created in East will get reflected in West immediately and vice versa. Any ticket created in East will only be worked upon by People in East (Unless a DR scenario happens). If in case, ticket created in East gets updates by someone in West, the update will be sent back to east as well.

My only concern was , is DSO better than DB replication? from Performance perspective 

• 6. Re: Benefits of DSO for replication over DB replication
                    Jameer Inamdar

Hi Vikram,

Definitely DSO will not help you to setup such support structure and as per my experience DB replication create impact on AR application even if P2P replication is on and by using DSO we have way to avoid the performance issue like setup the dedicated AR server to perform only DSO operations.

HTH