12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2018 1:50 AM by Juergen Hauser

Way to get Business Workflows in a Developer sandbox?

Anne Brock

One of our consultants would like to have business workflows in their developer sandbox of Innovation Studio. Is there a way to get them?

• 2. Re: Way to get Business Workflows in a Developer sandbox?
          Jeff DesRoches

Hi Anne, currently this is not available (to my knowledge).  We would need the Product Managers to provide some more information.  Robert Curlee Juergen Hauser

• 3. Re: Way to get Business Workflows in a Developer sandbox?
            Richard Martin

I am new here - - would like to be able to have this feature also - - thanks in advance...

• 4. Re: Way to get Business Workflows in a Developer sandbox?
              Juergen Hauser

Hi Anne and Richard, Business Workflows is used together with DWP Basic which cannot be deployed on the dev sandbox. So we cannot deploy the full solution at the moment. We are currently investigating how we can make Business Workflows available besides what's available today for partners through BDC.

Best regards,

Juergen

• 5. Re: Way to get Business Workflows in a Developer sandbox?
                Anne Brock

Ok, time for me to sound extremely dense...I'm confused by this statement:

Juergen Hauser wrote:

Hi Anne and Richard, Business Workflows comes with DWP Basic

Does that mean if I install DWP Basic in an On Prem environment I have business workflows somehow?

And since DWP is at no charge, does that mean Business Workflows is no extra charge?

I thought Business Workflows were built on top of Innovation Suite, so I'm very confused on how they come with DWP.

I apologize, I'm sure I'm missing something very obvious here...

• 6. Re: Way to get Business Workflows in a Developer sandbox?
                  Juergen Hauser

Let me be more precise as my initial statement was a bit brief:

BMC Business Workflows is a product sold by BMC - every Business Workflows customer gets Digital Workplace Basic with the purchase of Business Workflows. Both as cloud applications. Business Workflows is an Innovation Suite application, Digital Workplace Basic is not.

Here are two examples of how cases can get created in Business Workflows:

1. An end user request a service in Digital Workplace Basic which creates a case in Business Workflows. A case agent is using Business Workflows to resolve the case.

2. An agent is on the phone with an end user and is using Quick Case to create a case on behalf of the end user.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 7. Re: Way to get Business Workflows in a Developer sandbox?
                    Anne Brock

thanks so much. So if we get Business Workflows in our Innovation Studio instance, we won't be able to use DWP to create tickets in it. That actually would be fine for our use case; we were building a different, demo app, and thought we maybe could re-use pieces of Business Workflows, or at least learn from it; that's why we wanted it there. Also, it would help our consultants learn how to configure Business Workflows if we had a customer who wanted it; we're totally up to speed on DWP, but would be nice to get hands-on with Business Workflows. Our consultants don't have access to the BDC unless I spin up an instance and give them the URL, which is awkward.

Apologize for being dense earlier.

• 8. Re: Way to get Business Workflows in a Developer sandbox?
                      Juergen Hauser

Thanks for your feedback and we understand the situation. We are looking into alternatives to BDC but I also want to point out that I've seen customer facing product demos built using BDC images that went really well. Our solution engineers spend quite some time learning all about Business Workflows using BDC images as well. And there are several BDC images used actively by partners.

• 9. Re: Way to get Business Workflows in a Developer sandbox?
                        Anne Brock

Juergen Hauser wrote:

Thanks for your feedback and we understand the situation. We are looking into alternatives to BDC but I also want to point out that I've seen customer facing product demos built using BDC images that went really well. Our solution engineers spend quite some time learning all about Business Workflows using BDC images as well. And there are several BDC images used actively by partners.

I love the BDC myself, Juergen, and I've been using Business Workflows image to learn about it. It's great. I use other stuff from the BDC as well. but as a partner, I can only keep a session running for less than a day; and I have limited room to snapshot.

Our consultants, who may want to go in and learn Business Workflows when they have an hour or two open, would benefit from having BWF in their Innovation Studio instance. This wouldn't actually be for demos, but more for learning about it and learning how the workflow was built for it.

Anyway, I know BMC has many priorities going on. I appreciate everything you all do to get things as available to us as you do!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 10. Re: Way to get Business Workflows in a Developer sandbox?
                          Shiva Mallinar

Anne: Thanks for voicing our requirement.

@ Juergen Hauser, many of the so called "shared" functionality that we need across any "ticketing" apps on Innovations Studio (either built by BMC or partner) are already built in Business Workflow, for example, Notifications, Attachments, Tasks etc. We would like to reuse them rather than re-inventing the wheels to recreating the same features for each app individually. Glad to see Assignment and Approvals are shared, Thanks.

Can BMC provide installation packages for some such sub-system like com.example package at the least?

As you know the faster and easier we create custom apps with shared components on Innovations Studio, the faster would be the adaptation of this new platform apps by Remedy customers. Can BMC help with this?

• 12. Re: Way to get Business Workflows in a Developer sandbox?
                            Juergen Hauser

Thanks Shiva for sharing your thoughts around re-using shared functionality provided by BMC. And the short answer is that we have not investigated this in a lot of detail.

While it might be easy to do this technically it raises a lot of questions around licensing, support, redistribution, etc.

At the moment the only way to get the shared functionality is as part of a BMC application (like Business Workflows).

Do you have a specific application in mind that you would like to build? And this might be a topics for a discussion out side of this public forum. Feel free to reach out to me via email.