6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2018 4:46 AM by David Barber

Remedy 4.5 - what versions of Solaris were supported?

David Barber

All,

Really weird question - as per title - does anyone know what versions of Solaris (or Unix) were officially supported on Remdy 4.5?  The BMC Documentation that I have doesn't give such details.

I'm trying to build a case for not migrating a legacy system to a virtualised environment - the idea of migrating an unsupported application running on an unsupported platform to supported platform is utterly ridiculous, as it'll still effectively be unsupported - we should be attempting to migrate the data to a fully supported platform.

Regards

Dave Barber

• 1. Re: Remedy 4.5 - what versions of Solaris were supported?
          Mark Walters

Managed to find this

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Remedy 4.5 - what versions of Solaris were supported?
            David Barber

Mark, that is absolutely fantastic!  Just what I was after.  I did manage to find a bunch of other documentation, but not the compatibility matrix.

Many thanks!

• 3. Re: Remedy 4.5 - what versions of Solaris were supported?
              Anne Brock

I'm torn between being proud that a 4.5 system is still up and running and providing value and being appalled that a 4.5 system is still up and running....

But I imagine there are a lot of them out there!

• 4. Re: Remedy 4.5 - what versions of Solaris were supported?
                Jason Miller

Ah, back then (and for a while after, say up to AR 6 w/ a mass-modified HD 4) is when my last group of long-term users loved Remedy. Current-day, Remedy (and myself) have mostly been run out of the place with torches and pitchforks (ok I left when I started seeing the stock-pile of pitchforks and torches build up)..

• 5. Re: Remedy 4.5 - what versions of Solaris were supported?
                  Theo Fondse

The ARS V4.x,x releases, in my opinion, were the most stable and reliable versions ever released. It was rock-solid!

Although the latest versions offer more functionality, it is not entirely as nimble, frugal, reliable and stable.

(Check out the Minimum Requirements for 4.5.2! Far cry from a 9.1.x... server group.)  :-)

In the end, one can be quite impressed that there are still some folks getting value out of an older version.

If a system does not provide actual value to it's users in the trenches, it does not deserve to get used, but when a system stays around for this long - that is proof of real world value (unbeknowingly translating to money in the bank - just think of all the money you did not spend on upgrade projects in between, for one). This is something to be proud of! Congratulations Anne!

• 6. Re: Remedy 4.5 - what versions of Solaris were supported?
                    David Barber

One of our main systems recently migrated from 7.6.04 to 9.1 - and whilst 9.1 appears to be pretty reliable environment so far, it has had way more bugs than we ever experienced on 7.6.04.  But in many years of running 7.6.04 we only encountered one unplanned outage, and that was down to AD integration being enabled (but not used) and pulling the system down.  Otherwise it was rock solid.

Having a still running 4.5 system is testament to the reliability of older versions, but it is also a major problem - we have been "encouraging" the business to migrate the data/services onto another more suitable/supported platform, and right now we've been informed that it has been decided that to migrate the services to a new virtualised environment, but still running Remedy 4.5 (the data center in which the services reside is being decommissioned).

Some people don't quite realise why we've been pushing to migrate the data to a totally new platform.  Fun times ahead!