8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2018 11:07 PM by Venudhar Chinthakuntla

Flar creation in single usermode on solaris with SVM

Venudhar Chinthakuntla

Hello Guys,

I am looking for a STANDARD solution to create the flar image in single user mode on solaris hosts.

Steps as below..

1. Reboot the server to single user mode.(Flar image to be created in single user mode only).

2. Start the flar creation command which would take minimum an hour for entire image to be created on a shared file system.(Shell script)

3. Once flar image is created, reboot to multi user mode.

4. Addition steps like breaking the SVM mirror and tweak network has to be done using a shell script, which should be part of the job.

Can any one help me how to achieve using BL.

I have hundreds of hosts hence wanted to make use of Blade Logic tool to automate flar image creation.

I am making use of BLpackage reboot and execute single user mode options. Not sure if I'm in right path but the pre and post commands of a BLpackage always runs in multiuser mode. Not sure where to give the commands so the commands executed when the server is in single user mode only.

(Single user mode = S or 1, Multiuser mode = 3. Solaris in my env are SPARC only and no x86/64)

Thanks

Venu

• 1. Re: Flar creation in single usermode on solaris with SVM
          Bill Robinson

first - what is the reason for doing this ?  this seems like some kind of poor man's backup solution.  can you really afford 1hr+ of downtime to do this on a regular basis ?

Not sure if I'm in right path but the pre and post commands of a BLpackage always runs in multiuser mode. Not sure where to give the commands so the commands executed when the server is in single user mode only.

maybe in the blpackage itself, in an 'external command' ?  where the item-defined sum setting is to reboot into sum and then the command should execute and then when everything in the external command has run, the box will boot out of sum.  if you need multiple external commands in the blpackage i believe the job can consolidate the reboot into sum to a single execution.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Flar creation in single usermode on solaris with SVM
            Venudhar Chinthakuntla

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply.

This is not actually for creating a backup. As part of Physical to virtual migration, We want to take the entire OS image of each host only once and then migrate to virtual environment. We have 100's of host as part of migration and hence wanted to automate it.

As mentioned in previous post, They are sequence of steps to be executed in order to create an error free flar image.

maybe in the blpackage itself, in an 'external command' ?  where the item-defined sum setting is to reboot into sum and then the command should execute and then when everything in the external command has run, the box will boot out of sum.  if you need multiple external commands in the blpackage i believe the job can consolidate the reboot into sum to a single execution.

This is a test package which I created to understand the behavious of BLpackage in SUM and reboot situations.

1.I have created within the BLpackage, a simple script "Uptime_in_singleuser.sh" and added the 2 commands in that script/file below

i) who -r ( to know which run level I am in)

ii) uptime to see the servers rebooted correctly.

this two command outputs are collected to a temporary file.(appended mode)

2.Created external command within the BLpackage and call the above script "Uptime_in_singleuser.sh" for execution.

But the output of who -r is always multiusermode (shows as run-level 3). How ever I noticed the server is rebooting into SUM and then to multiuser mode properly. I wonder when or at which stage commands/script are being executed.

I expect "who -r" command should return  "run-level S or 1", that way I can confirm the script is executed when the server is in SUM. Then I can go ahead and input the actual flar creation command.

Thanks,

• 3. Re: Flar creation in single usermode on solaris with SVM
              Bill Robinson

in the deploy job that pushes this blpackage what is the 'user mode' setting set to ?

where is the rscd installed on the target system?  is that location a separation partition (eg /opt) ?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Flar creation in single usermode on solaris with SVM
                Venudhar Chinthakuntla

Hi Bill,

in the deploy job that pushes this blpackage what is the 'user mode' setting set to ?

Below are the settings of the job.

where is the rscd installed on the target system?  is that location a separation partition (eg /opt) ?

We do have separate partitions(/opt) on few hosts but the one which I'm testing is not a separate filesystem. /opt is under ' / ' file systems itself.

• 6. Re: Flar creation in single usermode on solaris with SVM
                  Venudhar Chinthakuntla

I think I figured it out.

Thanks Bill.

• 8. Re: Flar creation in single usermode on solaris with SVM
                    Venudhar Chinthakuntla

Hi Bill,

I have done 2 changes.

1. In BLPackage options, Reboot options, I have changed to " Consolidate any after item deployment reboots until job end.

and

with in BLPackage, changed the reboot property of the 1st script which is to be deployed, to "not-required".

I have tried out all the available options and this two changes worked.

Thanks