7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2018 6:39 AM by Mike Landis

Running jobs from the cloud

Mike Landis

I'm not familiar with the Cloud and we are in the planning stages of moving some applications to the cloud. What I'm looking for is information on how to run jobs when the application is housed in the cloud.  Control-M v9 is on a local server, and most jobs will be running in the local domain, but there will be other jobs that will be running in an Azure cloud environment. We are going to need to create schedules for the cloud jobs, and dependencies between jobs in the cloud and local domain.

Can anyone provide information?  I've searched through BMCs website an found nothing about scheduling jobs in the cloud.

• 1. Re: Running jobs from the cloud
          Ranjith P K

Hi Mike,

“Control-M for Cloud” control module can run jobs in Amazon,VMWare and Bladelogic.

I am not sure if Azure is supported.

https://documents.bmc.com/supportu/ctrlm9/help/Main_help/en-US/index.htm#CM_Cloud_1.htm

Regards

Ranjith

• 2. Re: Running jobs from the cloud
            Mike Landis

Thanks Ranjith,

Not sure that answers my question.  I'm looking to run actual jobs on applications that are housed in the Cloud.

Example-- A SQL database that is running in the cloud has a query that needs to run at 0300 and have a condition that waits on a z/os job running in the local domain.  Are there any special considerations, or is the configuration; agent, CM, etc., the same as if the database was in the local domain?

• 3. Re: Running jobs from the cloud
              Ranjith P K

Hi Mike,

I think, you can still run the database jobs in cloud as you run locally.

Only thing you need to do is to make sure that the database in cloud is accessible from local control-m domain.

Please check the link below.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/36674.access-azure-vm-sql-server-outside-of-network.aspx

Regards

Ranjith

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Running jobs from the cloud
                Bentze Perlmutter

Hi Mike, From Control-M perspective the "Cloud" is just another location where servers run and therefore where it can run jobs. I think of this as another data center where your company runs servers (and application on them) but doesn't have to maintain the data center. From a Control-M perspective it doesn't treat this any different to jobs running on a virtual machine in a local ESX server, a physical server or any other type of hardware O/S running locally. (virtual or physical) There would need to be network connection between you local Control-M/Server and any Control-M/Agents installed in the cloud, but other than that you can run any jobs you want in the cloud. Depending on the job type you would decide if you need an Agent on a cloud server, an agentless on a cloud server, or a plugin installed locally, or in the cloud, (like Control-M for Databases) that connects to a third-party application in the cloud. Defining jobs in the cloud, and integration between them and jobs that aren't in the cloud is the same as it is when all jobs are local. (i.e. conditions, resources, time constraints, etc. are all possible) BTW, you can even move the Control-M/Server and Enterprise Manager to the cloud, rather than running them locally, they both support that and behave the same as they would when installed locally. Hope this information helps. Regards, Bentze

• 6. Re: Running jobs from the cloud
                  Bentze Perlmutter

(sending again. saw the formatting was all off on previous reply)

Hi Mike,

From Control-M perspective the "Cloud" is just another location where servers run and therefore where it can run jobs.

I think of this as another data center where your company runs servers (and application on them) but doesn't have to maintain the data center.

From a Control-M perspective it doesn't treat this any different to jobs running on a virtual machine in a local ESX server, a physical server or any other type of hardware O/S running locally. (virtual or physical)

There would need to be network connection between you local Control-M/Server and any Control-M/Agents installed in the cloud, but other than that you can run any jobs you want in the cloud.

Depending on the job type you would decide if you need an Agent on a cloud server, an agentless on a cloud server, or a plugin installed locally, or in the cloud, (like Control-M for Databases) that connects to a third-party application in the cloud.

Defining jobs in the cloud, and integration between them and jobs that aren't in the cloud is the same as it is when all jobs are local. (i.e. conditions, resources, time constraints, etc. are all possible)

BTW, you can even move the Control-M/Server and Enterprise Manager to the cloud, rather than running them locally, they both support that and behave the same as they would when installed locally.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

Bentze

• 7. Re: Running jobs from the cloud
                    Mike Landis

Thanks Bentze!