6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2019 1:10 AM by Phani Harika Medathati

Devices With Unique Host Names But The Same HostID

Paul Hecker
      Share This:

Hello,

I am running BCM 12.1 and I'm seeing devices entries with unique host names but the same HostID.  All of the entries are from the same device. Two entries are identified by the wired and wireless IP address assignment when the device was unmanaged.  The third is the managed device entry on a wired interface but a different IP address. 

Device Name IP Address    Operating System Name                                 Topology Device Type   User                                                      Host ID

172.16.56.78 172.16.56.78 Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64-bit     Unmanaged Device      [same userid in domain\userid format] PC0KST38

172.16.56.85 172.16.56.85 Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64-bit     Unmanaged Device      [same userid in domain\userid format] PC0KST38

jzllt4037         172.16.28.92 Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-bit Client                            [same userid in domain\userid format] PC0KST38

I usually see all entries being reconciled to a single object in BCM once the agent is installed, so I'm definitely missing something.  My Connection Management settings are as follows.

Use the host name to uniquely identify device - No

Use host ID to uniquely identify device - No

Use the NetBIOS name to uniquely identify device - Yes

Use the MAC address to uniquely identify device - No

Use the disk serial number to uniquely identify device - No

Automatically Update Device Name - Yes

Case of Device Name - Indifferent

Client Identification Type - Host Name

Lost Client after Delay of - 30

Unit for Lost Client - Days

Lost Relay after Delay of - 24

Unit for Lost Relay - Hours

Allow Duplicate Device Names - No

Automatic Agent Version Upgrade - No

It seems that I should change the unique identifier to HostID rather than Host Name in Connection Management but is device identification strictly by the connection management settings even when the agent is installed?  I was under the impression that once the agent was installed, the agent identification process became more robust to track changes on the host.

Just looking for a sounding board.  Should I change the unique identifier or is there possibly another issue?

Thanks!

Regards,

Paul

• 1. Re: Devices With Unique Host Names But The Same HostID

Hi Paul,

My preference is always to have the Mac address option turned on as the unique identifier to avoid conflicts when running the discovery scan,

Also another thing I always check before doing a discovery scan on the network is test dns by ping the ip address or the hostname to verify dns is working correctly.

Regards,

Jason Prazeres

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Devices With Unique Host Names But The Same HostID
            Paul Hecker

Hello Jason,

Thank you for your response.

I'm concerned about using the MAC as users are on the wired connection when docked and wireless when at meetings.  Given that, assuming a scan runs when wired and runs again when wireless, how to BCM reconcile the different MAC and IP addresses?  As for DNS, unfortunately the workstations are not registered in DNS, only servers.

In my example, curiously, even though the device is managed and on the wired connection when last scanned, the scan indicates that the 2 unmanaged devices were scanned and updated.  I'm not sure how that can happen of the device is on a different interface and IP, even if the unmanaged IP addresses were reassigned to another device, BCM should not have the old device information (specifically user information) in the unmanaged object.

So to your point, if I use the MAC address as the unique identifier, can you tell me how BCM will reconcile the different MAC and IP addresses?

Bonus points if you can tell me why the existing unmanaged object is being updated in BCM even though the device isnow managed.

Thanks!

Regards,

Paul

• 3. Re: Devices With Unique Host Names But The Same HostID
              Paul Hecker

Actually, if anyone can direct me to documentation, or a Communities post, that explains how BCM reconciles objects to avoid duplicates, I would appreciate it.

I've scanned the BCM 12.1 documentation and the online documentation, docs.bmc.com, but was unable to find anything other than the explanation of object identification parameter and the how the GUID's are generated in the Global Settings > Connection Management section of the Inventory doc.

Knowing how what mechanism is supposed to reconcile duplicate objects would probably point me toward a solution.

Thanks!

Paul

• 4. Re: Devices With Unique Host Names But The Same HostID
                Paul Hecker

So no documentation on the mechanism that reconciles duplicate objects?

• 5. Re: Devices With Unique Host Names But The Same HostID

Hi Paul,

Take a look at this post as it sounds similar to the issue you are having.

Re: Client Management - LAN/Wireless Question

• 6. Re: Devices With Unique Host Names But The Same HostID
                    Phani Harika Medathati

Hi Paul,

I have a similar issue in my environment (BCM 12.1). Can you please let me know the solution to this.

I mean is there any work around for this scenario.

I have devices with different hostnames but with same serial id. Also some devices are not showing the correct serial id.

Please let me know if you found any solution towards this.

Regards,

M Phani Harika