4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2017 9:49 AM by Jason Prazeres

BCM Endpoint Inventory Not Updating

Paul Hecker

I have an on-going issue where inventory stops being updated even though the agent is checking into BCM.  We are running "BMC Client Management Version 12.0.0 Build 150805o_ONEOFF"

To address this, I used the information is "How to report on objects missing either software, hardware or all inventory", https://communities.bmc.com/thread/147741, to identify any device with inventory older than 2 weeks and dynamically populate a device group.

The device group is then assigned to an operational rule to unload and load the specified inventory module (Software, Hardware, Security, Custom) and then to upload the specified inventory.  The last step of the operational is to restart the agent.  Unfortunately the success rate is fairly low and the issue continues to occur.  For devices with inventory that still will not update, I am uninstalling and re-installing the agent.  Even with all this to maintain inventory health (going over 6 months), it continues to occur.

My question is, other than upgrading to a newer version of BCM, are there any suggestions to better address inventory that does not update?

Thanks!

Paul

• 1. Re: BCM Endpoint Inventory Not Updating
          Steve Gibbs

Paul Hecker

Are the devices giving you fits laptops that change relays a lot? It could be that the "differential" updates are not making it through the relay to the master even though the client has uploaded the data due to high mobility.  If you can target a single device and run an Op Rule to Upload FULL on a schedule to see if this may help...  I would not target all devices, just the problem ones to reduce bandwidth even though FULL inventories are not huge.  If devices reboot or users log off and on a lot then maybe you can set schedule that way...  I understand why you set up the unload/load module Op Rule but I would try to figure out why this may be happening.  I do not remember if v12.0 had this issue or not and was later resolved by way of the UPGRADE but I would also consider, if possible, to upgrade to v12.6 once the Patch fix is released and fully vetted.

That is my 2 cents. I hope it will help you out!

• 2. Re: BCM Endpoint Inventory Not Updating
            Paul Hecker

Hello Steve,

Thank you for the response.

It's an interesting problem as there's no particular rhyme or reason (form factor [workstation, laptop], Operating System, Agent Rev, Subnet, Hardware Manufacturer, etc.) to the issue that I can see.

I agree finding the cause if better than dealing with the result but no smoking gun yet.  I've setup a report listing devices with no software inventory to be sent to me daily.  I am hoping that by looking at the MTXAgent logs of a few new devices that are missing software inventory might provide a clue.

By chance, have you run those queries to see if you are missing any inventory?  So far this inventory issue feels like a "personal" problem and I can't think of an environment issue that could possibly cause this, but knowing others have checked and are not seeing it would help.

Thanks!

Regards,

Paul

• 3. Re: BCM Endpoint Inventory Not Updating
              Steve Gibbs

The one thing I have found to cause this type of issue is when the customer has not created an AV exclusion and their AV solution plays havoc on the local SQLite DB.  Have you confirmed that these exclusions exist?

• 4. Re: BCM Endpoint Inventory Not Updating
                Jason Prazeres

Hi Paul ,

just to add on to stevegibbs post here is a document that shows what needs to be excluded  if the AV is causing some sort of issue.

Antivirus exclusion prerequisites for Asset Core agent

Regards,

Jason Prazeres