2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2018 6:08 PM by Joshua Klarmann

Can an event trigger be set up based on conditions from multiple queues?

Tom Lowry
      Share This:

Can an event trigger be set up based on conditions from multiple queues and if so, how do you do it?  For instance if I have Queue1, Queue2, Queue3 and Queue4 and I want a trigger to fire when there are messages on 2 or more of the 4 queues, how would I set this up?

• 1. Re: Can an event trigger be set up based on conditions from multiple queues?
          Steve Meschke

Tom,

You need to use a Rule (not a Template) and use the T nodes in the trigger, one for each queue.

I can show you how if you need further assistance - if so, please open an issue.

Steve Meschke

Senior Technical Support Analyst

BMC Software

• 2. Re: Can an event trigger be set up based on conditions from multiple queues?
            Joshua Klarmann

Hi Tom,

As Steve mentioned in his response, what you are looking for is an Event Rule. I've put together a guide for you, just in case this is something you still need to address.

What makes event rules unique is that they can use triggers with multiple typed topics. That means a set of monitored objects’ attributes can collectively be compared and used to trigger an event action. Below you can see one such trigger I created. The typed topic nodes each represent the QDepth and MaxQDepth of an MQ Queue. The trigger divides QDepth by MaxQDepth and checks to see if that number is greater than 10% for each queue. If they are all over 10%, then the event will trigger an action.

To create the rule that uses this trigger, I simply traverse to the rules tab and click on the New Rule button atop the left filter and navigation pane. As with making a normal event template, I need to select the trigger I made:

I’ve also selected to use the OOTB consoleAlert Action that will provide a simple console alert when my event is triggered.

Before my event rule template is considered valid, however, I must select the objects associated with the typed topic nodes in my trigger. This is done by clicking into the value property of the Typed Topic node in your template. Doing so will open a dialog box that allows for selection of objects via the Object Tree you are familiar with from the Operations pane.

Do this for each Typed Topic node (below you can see I selected 3 Queues named ESB, all XMIT Queues from various QMGRS pointing to ESB).

When you are done, you can save your event rule (check it is enabled) and it will work like a dream!

Please let me know if you have any questions related to this process.

Thanks,

Joshua Klarmann

TranscendenceIT